employer ignorance

beebyboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I recently snapped my back tooth and went to the dentist who said he could not take it out until the following Friday due to the medication im on (choloprigel) so I had to go on the sick for 5 days due to the fact I could not eat due to the snapped tooth when I came back to work I was in real trouble they didn't understand that it effected my diabetes (3 x hypos that week) as far as they are concerned I phoned in with a snapped tooth not diabetes problems they don't understand that the snapped tooth effected my diabetes (type 1- 24 years)they said I should have went to the doctors but who goes to the doctors for dental treatment I think employers should have a duty to know about diabetes I work for a very large university who have a occ health dept
this has been going on for months now no diabetes awareness I have diagnosed with work place stress which doesn't help my condition but they don't understand this either does anyone had the same problems

Reactions: 2 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to work for Social Services and they too had a dedicated Occ Health Dept with its own Drs and nurses. They make you feel guilty for being ill, Its like the Spanish Inquisition,

On returning to work after illness you had to have the dreaded "back to work interview"

Why did you not phone in sick yoursef? why did you get your wife to phone? why were you ill? how long were you ill? couldnt you of still come into work, whilst being ill? could you have not come back to work sooner?

I used to be frightened of going back to work. (Flash backs of school days, waiting to see the headmaster) not knowing what was going to happen