Employer worries

I'm Diane

Hi everyone,
I'd like some advice please. I had a hypo at work the other day. It was one of those where you space out and are a bit vacant and are not very instructable. They said I was like that for some minutes and they did make me go eat something though so I was fine some minutes later. They have now had a meeting with me to fill out an accident report which will be kept in my HR file. They said if it happened again they'd take action, like to making me test more, or some other measure. Is this normal for an employer to do this. Any other times in my past (only a few and far between instances it has ever hapened at work), my employers have been more human about it and realised not to make a fuss, that although it does happen occassionally, it is not a serious issue.

I'd really appreciate any comments :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To be honest, I think your employer is acting correctly. They have a duty of care to you whilst you are in their employment. I'm not sure of all of the facts obviously and not sure if it was meant as a "threat" or anything so please correct me if I'm mistaken. Otherwise, I believe they have taken the correct course of action and seem to be genuinely concerned with your welfare. Maybe a bit more testing for a while would put their minds at rest. Good luck and hope it doesn't progress further.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paulasensio

In today's world of health and safety and corporate social responsibility I can understand why they would do this. It might not be a big issue for you who lives with it but it has probably freaked them out a bit. I would work with them, educate them, normalise it... and test more often ;) If I employed a diabetic it wouldn't be an issue so much unless it was frequent and showed poor care, but if I employed somebody with epilepsy I might act like they are. Did you declare this at interview or in a medical?

skhwoody

you are covered under the Disability Discrimination act and have the right to be treated on an even level with other staff. However they really do have to have in place guidleines to assist you and keep you safe within the working environment. Maybe a disemination of information about the illness to other employees would assist in catching the warning signs.

I think the problem comes, with those diabetics who are completey uncrontrolled, have no interest in helping themselves or attempt to control the condition, and then use it as a tool for sickness.

lenipenny

I have had lows at work before at my.last job i was mafe to test my sugars before every shift and i was put on light duties if above 10 i worked as an activity instructor and i was sending people off an abseiling towet so i underdtood with my new job i sat and chattef with my boss about what to do and i alwsys have my blood tester and energy tablets with me wich puts them at ease mayb that will help

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, since being back in work ive had several hypo's and not had any issues at all, I dunno if this is cause im firtunate eniugh to have warning signs and tell my colleagues im going to test my blood so they know, and if I'm gone for a few minutes they always check if I'm ok when I go back to work.