End of honeymoon period!

chelseacee13

Hey people how fast or how long did it take for yous to come out of the honeymoon period?
About 8 weeks ago I was super insulin sensitive so I changed my ratios to 0.5 to 10 carbs and glargine down the 6 unit then I lost control I'm now on 9 unit of glargine and a 1.10 ratio, but I can't get them back under control?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
I am not sure how true the honeymoon period is! :jimlad:

This is my take:

If i don't eat for long time (e.g. skip meal) and exercise (or very active) I become very insulin sensitive i.e. insulin resistance is low,

However

If I eat a lot and don't move a lot the body is then saturated with sugar and the insulin resistance is high.

That's my take on the subject. :cat:

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
I can't describe how annoying my diabetes is it changes all the time lol I'm just wondering if anyone else has these problems

I am sure other people have this problem :cool:

However are you trying to find common people to fix your problem or are you just trying to find out if it is normal that way? or...

Just what do you mean by it changes all the time?

Give some numbers/examples in order for people to give you proper advice :cat:

Also describe your life style e.g. active, hectic ... :woot:

What medicines are you on? how much do you take? when do you take? what do you eat? ...:pompous:

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a very definite change in ratios around 15 months after diagnosis. Noticed my average levels had all gone high and spoke to my DSN about it. We concluded an overall change in basal and bolus regime was needed. And that put me back on track.

However, there are loads of different causes for requirements changing... I recently tried reducing my carb intake and ended up hypoing loads... again, will need to adjust ratios appropriately. Off to DSN annual appointment next week :)

chelseacee13

It seems the more I change my ratio the worser it is I'm more likely to hypo of I take a 6 unit glargine then I am if I take a 9 haha I had appointments all of last week and more next week :(

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
I can't describe how annoying my diabetes is it changes all the time lol I'm just wondering if anyone else has these problems

am sure other people have this problem :cool:

However are you trying to find common people to fix your problem or are you just trying to find out if it is normal that way? or...

What medicines are you on? how much do you take? when do you take? what do you eat? ...:pompous:

chelseacee13

am sure other people have this problem :cool:

Glargine 9 units 11 pm
Novo rapid with food
10 am 6 unit 50 carbs 13 -15 after start between 7-10
2pm 6 units to 60 carb 13 start 12 finish
7 pm 6 units 60 carbs start at 12 finish 7/8

That's what it's like ATM and by change I mean the ratio there was a time I took a 3 unit injection with 30 carbs and had to eat another 120 carbs to stop the hypos they were that bad but because of the constant change I'm scared to change he insulin around incase I hypo but by doing it I'm leaving my self with high bloods

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
Glargine 9 units 11 pm
Novo rapid with food
10 am 6 unit 50 carbs 13 -15 after start between 7-10
2pm 6 units to 60 carb 13 start 12 finish
7 pm 6 units 60 carbs start at 12 finish 7/8

That's what it's like ATM and by change I mean the ratio there was a time I took a 3 unit injection with 30 carbs and had to eat another 120 carbs to stop the hypos they were that bad but because of the constant change I'm scared to change he insulin around incase I hypo but by doing it I'm leaving my self with high bloods

This is just me ok listen: I am not a Dr. I have diabetes for 15 years and I use NovoRapid (fast acting) and Lantus (Long acting)

My advice is to stop thinking about carbs Calculations and:

If you are active or you skip meals you become more insulin sensitive i.e. you need less injection and vice versa.
If you skip meal or eat less your body will become more insulin sensitive i.e. you need less injection.

I take the injection after meal not before because for me NovoRapid is too fast.

If I am active or will be active after a meal i cut on the dosage i.e. less injection because when i am active i burn sugar and NovoRapid is moving faster in my body thus it lowers my blood sugar fast.

This is some of my experience Good Luck remember I am not a Doctor.

Also there are slow long digested Carbs that i take shot for e.g. Rice Bread ...

If i eat Ice-cream I don't take injection the Lantus burns it with activity. I just ignore the higher BG for a while and it will go back to normal.

Best of luck

I hope some of the other members can give more insight to you from their experiences.

chelseacee13

This is just me ok listen: I am not a Dr. I have diabetes for 15 years and I use NovoRapid (fast acting) and Lantus (Long acting)

My advice is to stop thinking about carbs Calculations and:

If you are active or you skip meals you become more insulin sensitive i.e. you need less injection and vice versa.
If you skip meal or eat less your body will become more insulin sensitive i.e. you need less injection.

I take the injection after meal not before because for me NovoRapid is too fast.

If I am active or will be active after a meal i cut on the dosage i.e. less injection because when i am active i burn sugar and NovoRapid is moving faster in my body thus it lowers my blood sugar fast.

This is some of my experience Good Luck remember I am not a Doctor.

Also there are slow long digested Carbs that i take shot for e.g. Rice Bread ...

If i eat Ice-cream I don't take injection the Lantus burns it with activity. I just ignore the higher BG for a while and it will go back to normal.

Best of luck

I hope some of the other members can give more insight to you from their experiences.
My dietician gave that advise for certain food also only problem is if I take it after I forget to do it lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Josef I think you said you were a competitive athlete before diagnosis? If you are still keeping up a similar fitness regime then I suspect your experience of T1 is very different from most people's experience, and not generally applicable. For example it is very unusual for the onset time of Novorapid to be so fast that you need to take it after eating, even for low carb dieters. Normally Novorapid will fail to prevent a diabetic level of blood sugar rise even when taken before a meal. So I think your experience is very interesting, but atypical. I am sure it is working fine for you of course.

Reactions: 2 people