1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

ENDLESS ALARM AWAKENINGS

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by LionChild, Aug 18, 2021.

1. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

I must have been woken up by Libre 2 alarm 4 or 5 times last night!
    I set the alarms for low glucose 4.0, and high glucose 9.5.
    Again today, I had a snooze, early afternoon, and the alarm went off at 3.9 (apparently), but within about 7 minutes, it read at 7.2! I don't believe it!
    Some here have mentioned pressure readings, and I was resting on the arm that has the sensor on it, so I am wondering whether that influenced the 3.9 buzz?
    It's often the case, I have noticed, that went I am lying down, BG goes lower, and when I stand up, it rises, so that could be another factor?
    Its interesting too, that the graph looked more like a reading of around 5.0 mmols, than 3.9 in the obvious dip...
    I had a series of different readings following the 3.9: 5.7, 6.7, 7.2, 6.6, 6.1, 5.9, 5.9, 5.3, 5.7, 5.9 . My sense is that the measurements became more accurate, the longer I was upright?
    Any comments on these observations?

• Hug Hug x 1
    #1 LionChild, Aug 18, 2021 at 5:31 PM
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lying on my LIbre 1 sensor (and now Dexcom G6 sensor) causes false low readings. I still finger prick to check if they are below 3.5 mmol/l.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 ert, Aug 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM
  3. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I see this and it doesn’t match my Blood Sugar Readings I just set the threshold for a Low higher.

If the readings are accurate that’s obviously a very different problem and depends on a lot of factors.

*Edit* Should have written Thresholds for a Low Lower (cause setting it higher would make the problem worse).

#3 StewM, Aug 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM
  4. LionChild

Yes, this is my first experience, so I am learning! No, there is no way this is accurate as it is a very sudden change to my usual readings which has happened since moving on to Libre 2.

5. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The one word of caution I’d offer to that is, if you haven’t corroborated with Blood Tests, is it’s possible the Libre 1 was more inaccurate than your Libre 2 and as such you should corroborate with your Blood Testing kit to identify which is the inaccurate one.

6. LionChild

Yes, I agree.

7. Gafspa

Gafspa · Well-Known Member

I’ve really struggled with my last two sensors getting incorrect readings.
    I’m now finger pricking every low alarm as more often than not they are wrong.
    My graph is doing what yours is, when it’s been incorrect it then shows on graph as higher and more inline with results getting from my meter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @LionChild ,

I find the L2 pretty much consistently bang on the button, within 0.6mmol to my meter. (& I've no need to bed it in for 2 days either.)
    Have you considered siting the sensor inside the arm? Less likely to put pressure on it.. (& causing a compression low.)

Now to be fair. When/if I get genuine hypos. I tend to snooze the alarm with the 3rd party ap I use.for 45 minutes & check with my meter.
    These sensors can be slow to register a recovery from a low before either I feel I'm back or the meter says so..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook