On The Way To Type 3c

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed last Dec with HBA1c of 53 I wondered if my having a distal pancretectomy in 2012 (due to a Mucinous Cystic Neoplasm) had any bearing on my insulin supply especially since I take Creon replacement digestive enzymes since. I posted a question on here but only got a sparse response from some T3c diabetics (one in US) who thought if I took Creon for those reasons I should be T3c like them. I asked my doctor and asked my DN who has never come across this. I carried on hitting the ground running with LCHF and getting my HBA1c down to 41 first review and currently 37.
It was only when I had what was to be my final review this summer after my 5 year pancreatic scan that I posed the question again. The Gastroentrologist referred me to Endocrynology and I was seen today.
It was a 45 minute consultation and was very interesting. It seems because of my surgery my pancreas functionality is at 50%. Although I was commended for such a good BG level currently I can expect that as I age I will lose more beta cells despite my careful regime and if my HBA1c goes up to diabetic level (48) I will go straight on insulin (tablets not appropriate). I asked him if I was T3c and he said not with an HBA1c of 37 I’m not but I will become T3c if/when my levels require insulin. I said I wasnt planning on letting that happen but he said its inevitible I might be up to 10 years but if I get another illness it may happen sooner. He was very approving of my diet and remarked the only useful carb was green leafy veg! He thought I should take a good multi vitamin with Vit A for eyes, Vit D, Vit K. Etc. Will be tested for Vit D next bloods.
So glad I did my research and asked the right question especially since the HCPs I see regularly dont seem to be in rhe know. I dont like the idea of relying on insulin but my new personal target is to be non diabetic for the next 10 years.

Hope someone finds this informative or relevant.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @PenguinMum, great work on your regimen in getting your blood sugars into that range! Well done! Good job on persisting with your question and getting a referral. I'm sure your information will be helpful to someone else and let's hope you can prove them wrong with the insulin, although it does kind of make sense......hopefully that will be many years from now for you. Keep up the good work! Blessings/L

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @PenguinMum, great work on your regimen in getting your blood sugars into that range! Well done! Good job on persisting with your question and getting a referral. I'm sure your information will be helpful to someone else and let's hope you can prove them wrong with the insulin, although it does kind of make sense......hopefully that will be many years from now for you. Keep up the good work! Blessings/L
Thank you @lindijanice for your good wishes. As with everything in life you also need a bit of luck.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mods I think this might benefit from moving to T3c section and the heading changed to “On the way to T3a”. At your discretion of course.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum im sorry to hear about this but at the same time I’m sure it makes sense of things for you. You are doing a brilliant job and hopefully by eating low carb you should be able to delay. Presumably if they had known or considered this at your first diabetic hbaca1 you’d have already been put on insulin.
Take care and really pleased that at least you’ve been given an accurate diagnosis and can work at slowing any progression

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum im sorry to hear about this but at the same time I’m sure it makes sense of things for you. You are doing a brilliant job and hopefully by eating low carb you should be able to delay. Presumably if they had known or considered this at your first diabetic hbaca1 you’d have already been put on insulin.
Take care and really pleased that at least you’ve been given an accurate diagnosis and can work at slowing any progression
Thanks @shelley262. The thing is my GP and DN did know about this but didnt join the dots. I think if they had I might have been put on strong meds but the Endo says since I am doing my best to hold it at bay if/when the time comes insulin will be appropriate. He told me I knew more about my condition than a lot of medics which I find more scary than complimentary. We started off the consultation by him asking “Who told you to ask this question?”. When I said I did bcause I have informed myself he shook his head and said “you’re one smart lady”. Just goes to show how complicated this minefield of Diabetes and its treatment are.

margarett89

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed last Dec with HBA1c of 53 I wondered if my having a distal pancretectomy in 2012 (due to a Mucinous Cystic Neoplasm) had any bearing on my insulin supply especially since I take Creon replacement digestive enzymes since. I posted a question on here but only got a sparse response from some T3c diabetics (one in US) who thought if I took Creon for those reasons I should be T3c like them. I asked my doctor and asked my DN who has never come across this. I carried on hitting the ground running with LCHF and getting my HBA1c down to 41 first review and currently 37.
It was only when I had what was to be my final review this summer after my 5 year pancreatic scan that I posed the question again. The Gastroentrologist referred me to Endocrynology and I was seen today.
It was a 45 minute consultation and was very interesting. It seems because of my surgery my pancreas functionality is at 50%. Although I was commended for such a good BG level currently I can expect that as I age I will lose more beta cells despite my careful regime and if my HBA1c goes up to diabetic level (48) I will go straight on insulin (tablets not appropriate). I asked him if I was T3c and he said not with an HBA1c of 37 I’m not but I will become T3c if/when my levels require insulin. I said I wasnt planning on letting that happen but he said its inevitible I might be up to 10 years but if I get another illness it may happen sooner. He was very approving of my diet and remarked the only useful carb was green leafy veg! He thought I should take a good multi vitamin with Vit A for eyes, Vit D, Vit K. Etc. Will be tested for Vit D next bloods.
So glad I did my research and asked the right question especially since the HCPs I see regularly dont seem to be in rhe know. I dont like the idea of relying on insulin but my new personal target is to be non diabetic for the next 10 years.

I am sorry to read that people can experience so many hard times. I congratulate you on courage and perseverance. thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum sorry to hear this, but it sounds like you are in control of the situation. Here’s hoping you can go well beyond the 10 years!

Starburst02

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

@page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }

Penguinmum, just saw your post regarding moving or progressing to Type 3cDM. I had surgery for pancreatic cancer 16 years ago (2002), early stage so I am OK on that front. I became diabetic after the surgery due to a portion of my pancreas being surgically removed. At first, the doctors I saw treated it as Type 2 diabetes. The meds they gave me didn’t work for me, constant low blood sugars with some severe. I researched and was able to control my diabetes with diet and exercise until 2017.. Just as the endocrinologist mentioned to you, I became insulin dependent at that time. Scans show my pancreas is basically “worn out”. I have taken Creon since shortly after surgery. As you may know, Creon causes quick spikes in blood sugar within an hour of beginning a meal. I have had some challenges with insulin that you may not experience, or at least I hope not. Currently I am taking Novolog 70-30 and have more or less adjusted to it. I have had Hypos several times, but mostly when I am unable to keep the required “schedule” of eating when on the 70-30. Life gets complicated that way, doesn’t it? Best wishes for you to extend the years you can control with diet and exercise.