eratic readings

gbswales

I originally posted this as a reply in another thread but then realised that it might get lost there!

First I am type 2 diabetic and have been on insulin since a chronic attack of pancreatitis 3 years ago. I am ther first to admit that until this year my level control has not been particularly good with HBA1c reading about 10 (though that is a LOT lower than when my diabetes was diagnosed)

Lately I have been following a low carb regime (not strictly but sensibly) and have seen much better readings over a period where I am keeping the average (dont have recent HBA1C yet) well into single figures and usually a daily average of about 5.5. Over the last few days my levels have dropped lower than normal sometimes as low as 3.5 or 2.8 so I thought I was doing well

Last night after a normal protein based meal my levels went up after two hours to 6.9 (about 10pm) oddly, although I hadnt eaten anything and had been out shopping by 1am they had gone up further to 7.2 and this morning were back down to 6.8 before breakfast (normally with a reading of 7.2 I would have been at around 5.0 in the morning which is higher than normal. I had the exact same breakfast as always - 2 weetabix sweetner and milk and nothing else around 9am and took a couple more units than usual to compensate for the higher than normal morning reading. This would normally leave me with a level of about 4.5 by lunchtime - instead by late morning it had gone UP to 11.4 (I checked twice with different fingers in case there were food traces)

It is so frustrating to stick to a controlled diet programme that works only to find for no reason it suddenly peaks to the highest reading I have had in a long time.

gbswales

The day continued to be strange. After the high reading after breakfast it continued to rise to 14.2 an hour later soI increased my lunchtime insulin dosage by a couple of units. I had a fairly light lunch - two crispbreads (fairly low carb ones) some pate - a couple of baby tomatoes plus a couple of squares of 88%cocoa chocolate (normally I would have a piece of fruit but had run out) - I had to go into the office for the afernoon and then by early evening my level had dropped to 3.8 before dinner. The meal comprised a 2 egg ommlette with slices of ham a bowl of salad with dressing and a dark chocolate magnum (i was always an ice-cream aholic and these are not too bad carb wise) I went out to the cinema and checked before bed and it was 7.2 which is a fairly normal reading for me at that time. I took my normal dose of Lantus and went to sleep earlier than usual. I would have expected to wake up around 7.30 with a reading of about 4.5 - 5.5 but in fact I woke up around 6.00 with hypo symptoms and a reading of 2.8 - so early breakfast!

I really dont understand why my levels should drop by over 5 when all I did was sleep (no activity at all) The only conclusion I can come to is that my pancreas suddenly decided to work a little better than usual last night. However after weeks of very consistent readings these fluctuations are worrying

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
gbs
do you get on well with your diabetes care team? If so go and have a chat with them.
Hana