Errrggghhhh Another night-time hypo.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Not so much a little damp when I woke up. More like 1/2 a dozen buckets of water had been thrown over me. Early start today, not keen on spending 1/2 hour at 4am changing sheets and showering. When I tested I was at 8.5, so my liver must have kicked in just in time. I get kinda worried about what would happen if my liver didn't happen to have a bit of stored glucose to hand :-/

Tom

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a horrible one last night as well. I have been struggling recently with high bloods in the morning and couldn’t get the levels down. I was taking 11 units of Levemir at about 6pm every night and then increased it to 12 but this had little effect.
I remembered from a few years ago that my DSN had advised taking Levemir at about 8pm or 9pm and I realised it may have been running out before the morning. So I have started taking it later and my BS levels went from low teens to 9’s and 10’s in the morning.
So for the last few days I had increased it to 13 and was getting 4’s and 5’s and thought job done.
But last night I tested before bed and was 3.9 so had a slice of bread and jam thinking this would push me up but something went wrong somewhere.
I awoke at about 4am, like you soaked in sweat, with glucose and a glucogon injection all over the floor. Apparently I had been screaming at my wife and telling her to f..k o.f and throwing things around the room before I became conscious.
Absolutely horrible as although my wife understands how I can get she was in tears and I felt physically and emotionally awful.
I have had a history of night time hypo’s in the past but thought I was getting over them but can’t seem to regulate my overnight levels whatever I do. I am either low teens or hypoing. I also have started to become very angry and aggressive when low and it is horrible as I am often unaware of what I am doing.
I have an appointment to see a pump nurse in a few weeks and hopefully this will be the start of getting rid of these horrible events that have basically plagued my life for several years now.
I feel your pain

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey tom, I used to have night time hypos around 4 times a week until I went on the pump, the nights I didn't have hypos I would wake with a bg in mid teens, was never ending n no matter what I did it was one way or the other. Since i got my pump 9 months ago I've had 1 night time hypo and I wake every morning with a bg between 4-7, wish I'd got it sooner, would definitely consider it if you haven't already

Abbie :)

Reactions: 4 people

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Not so much a little damp when I woke up. More like 1/2 a dozen buckets of water had been thrown over me. Early start today, not keen on spending 1/2 hour at 4am changing sheets and showering. When I tested I was at 8.5, so my liver must have kicked in just in time. I get kinda worried about what would happen if my liver didn't happen to have a bit of stored glucose to hand :-/

Tom

Hi Tom
I feel your pain too - the morning before last my housemate found me on the floor in my room only no glucose reserves had kicked in. Luckily she brought me around and got me out of it - my duvet and clothes could have just stepped out of the shower they were so drenched though!
Like you I've had a few occasions where I've had a glucose store kick me out of a night time hypo and wake me up and I'm always drenched which makes the whole episode a tad more tiresome....
A pump sounds like a good option only not one I know much about tbh. A dr I saw this week did say I need to be using more long acting and less fast acting. Also not to do fast acting 'top ups' as the fast acting insulin keeps working for longer than we think.
I'm trialling an increase in my long acting and monitoring the progress. In the mean time though I don't think there's any other option than setting a 3am alarm to test.....I know it's annoying but will be a lot less hassle in the long run....?
x

Reactions: 2 people

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Yes, sounds like my experience,my pump has made such a difference overnight, although it took me a year to be happy with it. all the experiences you have described were the same for me, really relate to the distress of having no memory of being aggressive and swearing at whoever is trying to help, always made me feel so guilty and when my kids woke a couple of times they saw me like that which felt worse. Hooray for the pump.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I often wake up on work days at 3.7 or 3.5 and I'll not be aware of it till I test (which about the second thing I do upon waking up - I have to get up between 430 n 5am monday to friday so I can get to work). I'll go to bed at 7 or 8 even 12 on uncommon occasions and almost always been under 4 when I wake up.

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Awoke 3:40 and damp (oops no alarm check eejit me) sugars 3.4 = thank you liver. Anyone know why it happens at 3:30ish? x

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Hi Tom
I feel your pain too - the morning before last my housemate found me on the floor in my room only no glucose reserves had kicked in. Luckily she brought me around and got me out of it - my duvet and clothes could have just stepped out of the shower they were so drenched though!
Like you I've had a few occasions where I've had a glucose store kick me out of a night time hypo and wake me up and I'm always drenched which makes the whole episode a tad more tiresome....
A pump sounds like a good option only not one I know much about tbh. A dr I saw this week did say I need to be using more long acting and less fast acting. Also not to do fast acting 'top ups' as the fast acting insulin keeps working for longer than we think.
I'm trialling an increase in my long acting and monitoring the progress. In the mean time though I don't think there's any other option than setting a 3am alarm to test.....I know it's annoying but will be a lot less hassle in the long run....?
x
Yes, those fast acting top-ups, forgetting to take IOB into account have been the cause of a few dramatic crashes for me! :-/