1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Estimating HbA1c

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ZedZeeZet, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Member

Hello, just pondering the relevance of After Meal readings to estimate an HbA1C result using the Two Hour recommended time to do a finger prick test rather than a One hour Test. These are higher in my case and my readings at two hours are generally back to Pre meal levels or slightly lower. Which one would produce a better estimation?
    Paul

2. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, assuming the HBA1c measures the averages over the 3 months, then your home tests should be the highs AND lows if you want to be anywhere near.

Mysugr app, will give a reasonable estimate after 5 days of information. (3 entries per day, I think.)

So morning fasting read, and two other reads during day, would make good sense.
    If you wanted to include the 1 hour as well, that would be fine, and just more info for it to produce a more accurate estimate.

I think the 2 hour window is used as it is the time needed by non diabetics to get back into range,, which to all intents and purposes we are trying to copy.

It is only a guesstimate as the official one will have caught all the highs you may not have tested for .."stress" "late spikes" etc.

Though do bear in mind the official one IS weighted towards the few weeks closest to the test, I believe.

#2 jjraak, Dec 2, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. ZedZeeZet

Thanks for the reply. Got over two months worth of readings, got my first HbA1C test in a week or so which is the first that wont include blood levels before I was diagnosed and before I went LCHF. Just trying to not get to disappointed if the HbA1C is higher than my estimate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yeah i hear that.

Sure it will be lower then previous,
    so you'll be going in the right direction.

if possible i'd D/L the app and input the last 5/6 days numbers and maybe give you some idea of the potential reading.
    Mine offered a 36, but i got an official 40, so not that far out.

and i did prep like you for the poorer score with the idea that
    ANYTHING lower was LOWER and improving my outcomes now and in years to come.

Hope to read you worried unnecessarily, and you smashed it out of the park.
    good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

its all about average glucose levels and i think the formula is:

(Average BG + 2.52)/1.583

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ZedZeeZet

Ta, the formula ties in nicely with the table graphic I have. I'll add it to my ever growing spreadsheet, can never have too much data. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ZedZeeZet

@jjraak, HbA1c is in, I was 0.3% out on my estimation. Estimated 5.4% and today's result was 5.7% so I think I will test earlier in future. I should start a thread in Success Stories and testimonials now I have a result, started off 5 months ago in ICU.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook