Eurovision Song Contest - "Guilty Pleasure" or "Just NO"!?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, it's the final of the Eurovision Song Contest tonight. I love watching it on the red button, so you get the lyrics translated. I'm not watching because I love the music, but I love how seriously everyone takes it (with the exception of the UK) and think it's hilarious, especially Graham Norton's comments. Each year, I make my husband watch it with me, but he's usually snoring on the sofa by the time the UK's entry comes on (this year second from last). Over the years, I've learned not to keep nudging him so he doesn't miss any good stuff as he gets a bit grumpy with me. :(

Does anyone else share my guilty pleasure? :bag:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite enjoyable but I'm glad it's only on once a year :)

Unfortunately, the choice of who wins nowadays depends on a number of political and related factors, with neighbouring nations ganging up to vote for or against others - I see that, this year, the Ukrainian entry is asking everyone to vote for her to register their dislike of Putin's annexation of the Crimea. Very worthy in some ways but surely the winner shouldn't be selected on the basis of who has been oppressed the most in the past year? :)

Mind you, I guess there has to be some criterion, because musical merit sure as Hell doesn't play a part :D

Anything with Graham Norton in it has got to be worth watching - I know he's not to everyone's taste but he's brilliant at doing the Eurovision commentary, and generally just a very funny man.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's NO from me too. Hubby and son like watching it though. :rolleyes:

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A huge No!!

Have had to put up with repeated ads on one channel now for weeks. I know Australia is entered I don't need to hear the same song over and over and over again.

So glad when this weekend is over and wont have to listen to it anymore

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Eurovisionless .....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! Didn't know it was on - would have avoided it if I HAD known.

Guess I am a 'No!' then... ;)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Used to like it when it was fairly judged. I dip in and out because it is TOO LONG

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
and when Terry Wogan hosted the show, it was never the same when Norton took over.
I used to laugh so hard at Sir Terry's puns, quips and outrageous statements. As you say, hasn't been the same without him

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A huge No!!

Have had to put up with repeated ads on one channel now for weeks. I know Australia is entered I don't need to hear the same song over and over and over again.

So glad when this weekend is over and wont have to listen to it anymore
Australia is entered. Are the Antipodes part of Europe now?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Yvonne and I say Nooooo, but our American friend is coming and she loves it, so we shall indulge this year..haha

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
They all hate the UK
And it's far too political
Greece and Cyprus eternally trading douze point and same with all the former commie countries in fact since Eurovision let the Eastern Europeans join it has become unwatchable

Mrs Cumbs will have it on I might retreat to the conservatory

Terry Wogan was brilliant and up until the east joined it was ok to watch but they hate us with a passion so we usually score very low or don't score at all

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Australia is now in it because of our huge migrant population. I think this year is our first entry. Last year we were invited to send a singer with song which happened but it was not for judging. I think we also had representation the year before

Cant believe Dami with her balmy army of followers managed to get into the finals.

Wont be hearing the end of it here in Australia that is for sure.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I will look, by constantly flipping channels. I agree with the comments about it being political,100 %, it is so predictable. I can't say I like it, but it's one of those programme's that is so bad, it's good lol and I need a laugh and thankfully on only once a year :rolleyes::)
ps I am a huge fan of Dad's army and it's the German U boat crew episode tonight, so I will watching that, as it's :hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: 3 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the strength of opinion on this! I completely agree with all the comments about politics, UK-hating and non-European countries, but I still love the nonsensical pantomime of it all!

Whatever your opinion, enjoy your Saturday evening!

ps I am a huge fan of Dad's army and it's the German U boat crew episode tonight, so I will watching that, as it's :hilarious::hilarious:

Oh, yes - absolutely brilliant - couldn't agree more, @Robinredbreast!

Reactions: 2 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edited to add that I agree Wogan was amazing and can never be replaced, but I still think Graham Norton does a suitably irreverent job (especially further into the night when more wine has been consumed). (By me as well as him!)