Every. ****. Time.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Every flippin time I change my set my bg goes up. EVERY TIME!

I don't know how this happens or where I go wrong, I do all the change I fill cannula and the insulin come out of the end so I know my tubing and everything is spot on, I'm obsessed with air bubbles so always make sure there is non of them and yet everyyyyyyy timeeeeee I get a high bg, in the hours that follow!

was 7.3 earlier tonight, now battling a 17.0 am I unlucky enough for it to be a ****** site every time? Bg doesn't always go this high, sometimes 'only' about 10/11 I've changed site and tried again because the correction of me being 17 hasn't brought me down and am still 17 an hour later, I wanna go to sleep man!

I try to change my sites earlier in the day so I don't have this hassle when it's bed time but I'd caught my cannula earlier n it was giving me agro so had to change tonight rather than tomorrow morning, I know to use my pen if I'm high like this but I don't like to because I want to know my pump is working and for some reason I cannot think of right now i like to have faith in my pump!

So another correction given and yeah I should wait n test again to check its come down but I seriously want sleep so I'll test when I wake - probably in like an hour when I wake about to pee myself with ketones - god diabetes is FUN isn't it!!!!

Anddddd breatheeeeeeeee!

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always go low when I change my set, so use a 50% basal for 2 hours.

I've heard of others who go high and use an increased temporary basal. You could maybe try that at your next set change.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was taught to change the cannula before a meal or snack so that extra insulin is pushed through the cannula. Also I leave the old cannula in for a couple of hours so any insulin left in the old cannula seeps through. Do you remember to fill the new cannula? I ask because it has been known for people to forget when first starting to pump as so much to learn.

Reactions: 6 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear you poor thing. So frustrating when you want to sleep. I'm new to the pump and haven't experienced what you described but have had the testing every hour overnight when bloods are sky high.
I was taught to change the cannula early so as not to be messing around at bed time, also to change site at separate time to eating as if you check your bloods an hour late your likely to be high. Also leave the previous set in for 1-2 hours after starting your new set incase it isn't working. Do you leave your old cannula in at least 2-3 hours after your last bolus?
Sorry if this is obvious to you! Hope you get it sorted soon

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is it possible that you don't get on with the sets you use and would benefit from a different type? If they are causing minor inflammation in the first few hours it might affect absorption.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never been told to leave the old cannula in for a few hours when changing I'll definitely try that!

I use the sure t steel cannulas so it's all filled before I put it in my stomach etc I use these because the plastic ones just didn't work for me when I first got the pump, used to kink all the time.

I probably exaggerated in my angry state last night saying this happens every time, it probably doesn't but it does happen quite often. I'll try leaving the old cannula 2-3 hours when I first change, this wasn't possible yesterday because of the reason for me changing being that I had caught it on my jeans and it was very sore.

Thanks for the input guys :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I use the sure t steel cannulas so it's all filled before I put it in my stomach etc I use these because the plastic ones just didn't work for me when I first got the pump, used to kink all the time.
Are you sure this isn't due to using the wrong length for your personal needs? Saying that I can not get on with the steel cannulas :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If it is the new insight-

1) are your pump settings set to correct amount to fill cannulas and tubes.

2) despite on Insight rapid d I still have to have my pump cannula fill set to more than the "official" guidelines they state...

3) if you are on Insight pump, then tell Accuchek helpline of the problems with the sets after putting in new ones.. They need to be told.

4) as I run on basals all but one meal a day in evenings I have informed Accuchek of probs with random highs before 48 hours are up with the steel sets....they know I am spot on with my basals.. Normally 5-6.8 on the first day, but the 2nd day can see a leap to 9's at random times. My consultant has also scrutinised my readings thoroughly and advised that I may have to change them daily if Accuchek cannot offer a shorter rapid than 6mm on a longterm basis.

No matter what pump you are using.. Check that you are filling the cannula and tube correctly. If probs after establishing that you are then you need to report them to the Company with the batch and serial number etc.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always go high after a set change so here's what I do:

1) Leave old set in for 4 hours as insulin will still be active at site and pulling out will cause that insulin to leak out slightly.
2) After priming cannula I bolus 1u through straight away. I then set +150% basal for 2 hours. This was trial and error for me but I have found this to be the best setting.

I also always do my change before eating so that I can test set 2 hours later.

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By any chance is it a Medtronic pump

Yep! Lol

Thanks for the tips everyone (and sorry for delay replying) I've started leaving my old set in for a few hours when I've put my new set in and BINGO haven't had a high since!

Thank you :)

Reactions: 8 people