Exact timing of two hour reading please

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again,

Sorry if this is a question that has been answered over and over again (but I've been through all the stickies and couldn't find it)......

If I start my meal at 6pm and it takes half an hour including a coffee, at what time should I be doing my "2 hour" reading?

The reason this matters is that my reading at 8pm is higher than my reading at 8.30, for example 12.3 dropping to 8.8 last night after too big a meal.

Obviously it would be easy to be over the 2 hour target (8.5) on one interpretation and under on the other.

The answer I've seen in my book is that it doesn't matter as long as the timing is consistent but, given the above, I don't see how this can be true.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
This one puzzles me too, Dougie! Some sources say 2 hrs after starting, some say 2 hours after finishing. Quite often I forget anyway, and can be up to 30 mins out.

Can anyone else help, please?

Viv 8)

JohnnyAngel57

I've always been led to believe that it doesn't really matter about whether its dead on time or not for the 2 hourly checks, though i could be wrong. I asked because I am usually drinking tea or coffee most of the day, and was told that it doesn't make any difference having a drink so i've just carried on doing it within reason
John :shock:

Ottermoon

After reading most advice say it didn't matter as long as I'm consistent, I time 2 hours after starting dinner. The patterns over time reveal the effect of my food on my Bg.

Also, my Bg is affected by my stress levels so I can't always be 100% certain a high reading is completely down to what I ate. I'm in my learning phase, 3 months since diagnosis, so tend sometimes to get over-wrought!

I set a reminder on my BlackBerry for two hours after I started eating each dinner.

Hope that helps,
Ottermoon

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I take my 2 hour reading 2 hours after the end of the meal (when I remember - no alarm on my phone or if there is I don't know how to use it :lol: ) but before coffee as I don't think that affects the levels. My Endo told me to take the reading 2 hours after the start of the meal which I didn't think was very logical as who knows when they will finish eating. That's not the only advice from her I ignore (carbs!!!).

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
[quote="Dougie22"
If I start my meal at 6pm and it takes half an hour including a coffee, at what time should I be doing my "2 hour" reading?

Obviously it would be easy to be over the 2 hour target (8.5) on one interpretation and under on the other.[/quote]

Hi Douggie, It seems to me that the longer period of time that passes after you eat then the lower your postprandial reading will be, I take my reading two hours after finishing my food if I sit and have a coffee or two I dont count that time as my levels will still be dropping and I like to keep to a set time.

Dont forget that the NICE recommendation of a postprandial level of 8.5mmol/L is the upper limit of the recommendation and that the lower your levels stay and the smaller the peaks the better. But also remember that Rome wasn't built in a day just as good control doesn't happen overnight :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I was told to test 2-4hrs after eating so have always done this... as its after eating and pre next meal given the 2hrs flexi time? Just thought would let you hear this and see what you think? Thanks, Anna.x

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On a related topic. Don't forget that one of the reasons to test is to try and find out which meals affect your peak BG readings, as there is good evidence to suggest that keeping your peaks low will delay the onset of any T2 related complications.

So you'll often see recommendations that you check at 1 hr as well as two hours, until you have assessed which timing gives you a peak reading. But it may be 90 mins, or 150 mins, or later, depending on the GI values of the foods you have eaten.

Personally, I try to test new food combinations, or if I have eaten an unusual combination of foods, 2 hours after my last mouthful. Consistency is the key for me, and any testing is good!