Exaggerating Symptoms

crystalyips

Does anyone find that they exaggerate their symptoms to get attention?
My brother is diabetic and everyday there seems to be a new ailment to add to the list from migraines to various infections. Don't get me wrong I accept he does have problems with diabetes but I can't believe one person can have so much wrong with them and I don't know how to deal with his attention seeking

sandymaynard

Hi
i would never attention seek to get attension, What type of diabetic is he? What sort of other health problems,
With me i have lots of other medical problems that make the diabeties worse at times!
Sometimes you need you time! Where you have time just for you! I fully understand as i was a child carer in some ways for my mum! It is hard keeping on top of other peoples health problems!
Sandy

Spiral

Diabetes can cause all kinds of problems. I thought I knew a reasonable amount about diabetes before I was diagnosed with T2 (I'd had gestational diabetes and my dad was T2 and I know many people disabled through the long term complications through my work).

Since my diagnosis and reading here I realise that some of the niggly little things I have experiencd over the last coule of years may well be minor complications. This includes my headaches, lack of energy and tiredness as well as having a dry mouth (now much improved since I got my BG down). It affects us in different ways.

Do you have diabetes crystalyips, or is it just your brother?

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Spiral is right, things you may have had before and put down to other things are often related to Diabetes. Some of the symptons, I suffered with I put down to the usuals, stress, infection etc. It is only when you are diagnosed and your eyes are opened you realise what these things actually are: you also become much more aware of the dangers and extra problems Diabetes can cause with something even as simple as a cold can cause complications

Whilst I accept your brother is a man (and therefore has a bit of the hypochodria gene :lol: ) maybe he is worried about his condition and needs more support and reassurance?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i would never make out im worse than i am, but since becoming diabetic ive had a mountain of new illnessess, just recently been diagnosed with menieres and me, unfortunately some of us do succumb to new ailments :?

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've been T1 for 30+ years and I find myself trying to avoid mentioning the many problems that come along with it, rather that seek more attention. But then I get a bit annoyed when people don't understand the effects that it can have on my day to day abililities and activitieis. Sometimes letting people know how you feel is important, isn't it?
Regards

sandymaynard

Hi Mr.burden,
you are right you need to let people know how you are feeling.
If you don't tell people how you feel, And something happens then you are in the wrong for that as well!
I know my fiancee forever asks how i am! I usually say i am okay! Except if there is something bugging me! Bless him he has more of a handle on my signs when something is wrong than i do!
He seems to know more when a hypo is coming on, or i am getting dehydrated he knows more of this!
Sandy

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
:) hi just reading everybodys posts about many other symptoms i suffer with frozen shoulders which i have to have steroid injections gp says to do with diabetes i feel sometimes i continual moan about pains and tiredness and other probs to my husband but luckily husband says thats what hes there for but i find if other people ask me how i am i always say fine although i may feel like ****** i think its to do with my occupation listening to other peoples problems they dont need to hear yours (warden in sheltered housing) oh by the way i dont think my dog even minds hearing my moans and groans well she hasnt started putting her paws over her ears yet no seriously i dont think diabetes is much fun at all but i dont think you really understand unless you have it yourself like anything i suppose

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
My husband reckons he understands Diabetes his qoute "everyone knows it is controlled by diet". I have explained it is progressive and if I ever have to go on inuslin, he may have to learn but he just rejects the idea. He is squeamish so much so that if I test in the bedroom or living room he will turn away or excuse me of "ramming it in his face. But he also tells me how he wants to "support me". I have sent for leaflets, so he can read and sent links to websites and he has not really bothered to read any of it. His way of this, is to accuse me of not telling him what is going on, or sitting on his ****, like today and watching me run round doing all the housework. As we both work full time and have demanding jobs, I have every right to insist he does his share. He had a hard time before Christmas and lost his job he was out for 3 months and I supported him every step, helping with CV, presentations etc. I would come home and cook dinner. He is now 3 months into his new job and is finding it streessful and has a boss who I admit is a *****, but he is using it as an excuse, saying he is mentally and physically exhausted. He does not seem to realise, although I have told him until I am blue in the face about the effect that my diagnosis had on me, really only 6 weeks ago but he does not listen, I tell him things twice and then accuses me of not telling him. I am now so desperate to get rid of this diabetes label and to get my HB1A down, I have reduced my calorie intake to 700 a day - no fat, no starch, no sugar. I'm living off fresh grapefruit, some fruit and salad as my main meal at night. Lost 5 kg last week alone. I am now refusing to cook anything seperate for him, if he wants it he can get it or eat what I am. My levels are fine but if my next HB1A is normal I am going to convince my doc into getting rid of the diabetes label, it will be one less thing to worrry about and my husband then can't accuse me of holding it against him and then he will get his selfish, selfish wish and the spotlight will be back on him and his problems. He told me to go to hell the other day when I nagged him about helping because I felt off, I was able to tell him I was already there.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi iolanthe i just found reading your last post so sad to read but for the first time i really appreciate my husband he works full time 6am every morning 7 days but if he sees (i dont have to tell him) im not to good he will cook meal or whatever needs doing i will try and resist but he wont listen im not sure what you mean about the label i suppose it was like when i tried to tell gp i did not have asthma any more and didnt need inhalers because i gave up smoking 3 yrs ago but his reply was you are an asthmatic and im not to forget i could have an attack at any time i dont know everything about diabetes but it will interesting what reply you will get from your gp about getting rid of diabetes label

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I keep my T2 under TIGHT control and I've never been fitter. I weigh less than I did at 40 and take MUCH more exercise. I have energy to spare and I'm NEVER ill. I can't afford to be. I have a T1 husband with multiple complications. Without wishing to belittle others less fortunate, I am a "mind over Matter" kind of person.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
i think what it is also is that when you have diabetes you become a lot more aware of your health because there are a lot of things that we have to look out for,like our eyesight for example or cuts or .our feet and things like headaches can be signs of other problems.if we dont look out for ourselves who will.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi mullanader i think i spelt that right hope so anyway) i totally agree with every word in your last post take care bye for now