Example of insulin resistance being lower in the evening?

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had two fried eggs (olive oil) two sausages (5g carb each) and a quarter of a tin of beans (14g carb). 2 hrs later BG had increased by 0.5. It was the first time I have eaten beans since starting to test before and after meals and I was pleased by the result.

This morning I had two sausages, no eggs or beans and two hours later BG up by 2.0. Is this an indication that I am more insulin resistant earlier in the day?

On the positive side I am learning which foods to avoid/eat later in the day.

Reactions: ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be an indication that your insulin resistance varies throughout the day (I know mine does, a lot), but you are going to need to do a whole lot more testing to make sure. Oh the hardship! ;)

I certainly find that I can eat things in my evening meal that I wouldn't be able to have in breakfast or lunch. But there are a lot of factors at play - exercise, dawn phenomenon, stress levels, etc. Also, even the brand of baked beans can make a difference, because some of them have added sugar too. :(

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be an indication that your insulin resistance varies throughout the day (I know mine does, a lot), but you are going to need to do a whole lot more testing to make sure. Oh the hardship! ;)

I certainly find that I can eat things in my evening meal that I wouldn't be able to have in breakfast or lunch. But there are a lot of factors at play - exercise, dawn phenomenon, stress levels, etc. Also, even the brand of baked beans can make a difference, because some of them have added sugar too. :(
Thanks @Brunneria It was the first time I have had sausages and beans since January and after last night's reading I thought I would check the sausages on their own. I was surprised at the leap but I can make healthier breakfast choices than sausages lol. X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Which type of sausages were they?
I find that some brands are mainly rusk, which spikes my blood glucose, while others (usually the 'Finest' or poshest, or most expensive) can be as high as 97% meat. And those don't cause me any problem at all.

We usually get the Lidl or Aldi or Tescos top of range. But Mr B loves the Black Farmer brand. There are also Heck and Debbie and Andrews Harrogate brands. We have learned to be quite the Sausage Snobs! :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the above as regards type of sausages. 5g carbs per sausage is a lot. Mine are about 1g per sausage. I buy Black Farmers or Tesco Finest but much prefer the Black Farmers.

You can't really compare those 2 meals because they didn't contain the same foods. This is necessary if you want to do comparisons. The eggs contain fat and thus keep spikes a bit lower. The beans may well have spiked a lot higher earlier than the 2 hour mark. So next time, have the same foods and see what happens.

I know that I cannot eat any carbs in the morning if I want to stay in the 5s until lunch time. I added beans back in my menu recently and was surprised to see very little impact when eaten with a big fry and grill up meal later in the day, but I don't have many. Maybe a big spoonful at most. At the beginning of my journey they spiked me very high.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yesterday I had two fried eggs (olive oil) two sausages (5g carb each) and a quarter of a tin of beans (14g carb). 2 hrs later BG had increased by 0.5. It was the first time I have eaten beans since starting to test before and after meals and I was pleased by the result.

This morning I had two sausages, no eggs or beans and two hours later BG up by 2.0. Is this an indication that I am more insulin resistant earlier in the day?

On the positive side I am learning which foods to avoid/eat later in the day.
@Swiggy what I find with my huge insulin resistance is carbs from beans and husky sausages gets rolled over into the liver to process. I get a liver dump at any opportunity my body gets. I'm on insulin which is helping me process this into energy instead of stored fat or stored in my liver, other organs and muscles.
Accumulating carbs are a bummer.
The key is to keep your carb and protein intake to sensible levels so your body and meds can process them into energy. Heavy carb intake after low carbing gives a lower bg for a very short time then wham! The carb effect rises them again. Many posters state a carb treat or in excess takes them 3 days to recuperate!
So ... cheap sausages or baked beans or white cheap bread is ok as a treat but in excess, especially long term raises my insulin resistance higher and higher. The need for extra insulin to process can turn out double if I don't keep a good level of carb intake.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always stuck to Tesco Finest @Brunneria but these were Edwards of Conway with 9.7g of carbohydrate in 2 grilled sausages (but I fried mine in olive oil). I was seduced by the yellow sticker lol. X

Reactions: Brunneria