1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Excessive wind.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by taurusmmuk, Jan 10, 2013.

1. taurusmmuk

taurusmmuk Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed with T2 about four months ago. Apart from being quite confused with all the various theories and equally vociferous disclaimers by various experts, some seemingly genuine; others peddling goods or services that to my mind makes them appear rather disingenuous. “Allegedly”. :wink:

I have tended to go the “almost vegetarian route” (is that an oxymoron) in that I have a lot of meat to eat so I am using what is left in very small quantities and it will last quite a long time. I must be one of the luckiest diabetics on the planet because I absolutely love all the vegetables, grains & beans on the planet and have no trouble making soups & stews to keep me going.
    I have only one problem with all the above, wind and some bloating. I know the stock answer is to cut down, but even if I have a drink of water of a cup of tea I am belching up copious amount of wind but I don’t suffer much pain thankfully. Is there any kind of medication that would help to dissipate the wind but not affect my BG, in any way? I don’t use milk, very little cheese or butter just soya milk for my tea & porridge.

I managed to get through Christmas without any major problems, just an occasional overindulgence that did not seem to do too much damage, fingers crossed. In the last week I have bought a BG monitor and all my readings have been between 5.4 & 5.7 so I instinctively think is it working properly, I certainly hope so.
    Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.
    Jim.

2. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, Taurusmmuk ,

It is quite normal that when you change to a vegetable diet, there will be wind problems in the early stages.(the digest system will soon adjust ).

However lets be fair, some say sprouts and beans may be a little dangerous if you know what I mean.

Best of luck with your diet.

Roy, :)

3. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with wind, it is a natural by product of bacterial action in your gut.

Cows have wind, Elephants have wind, Gorillas have wind, and humans have wind.

I am a vegetarian and I have wind, I try to be discreet about it but sometimes it just has to come out.

I am of an age where I no longer worry what other people think, a simple "Pardon" suffices for me!

If you must,activated charcoal is used to absorb gas, but it can affect other medications so check first.

H

4. Pulsar

Pulsar Type 2 · Member

Does insulin give you wind ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook