Excited but nervous

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Exciting news today , my DSN at hospital has given me a date to start on my pump, next weds , will start on insulin so the long long wait is over, but only a month from agreeing to pump therapy to starting it , hopefully it won't take long to get my driving licence back , filled in the application and sent it off , very very happy

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wow that is quick, good luck and hope all goes well :)

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Yes I had a choice of 4 but narrowed it down to the Medtronic 640g and Animas vibe as both are waterproof ( hoping to go back to kayaking ) but have chosen the Vibe , as there is the possibity of having sensors or start up for CGM, will find out more about that on weds, but will be starting pump with insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
lots to take on board but you'll be fine - so very pleased for you -- exciting times :):):)

Reactions: 4 people

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
It was very quick noblehead, I think when I saw them beginning of October I took written down timetable per hour of what I was doing, I eat the same food , at the same time, exercise the same for same amount of time, carb counted accurately , adjust ed insulin and my BS were erratic , I feel as if I am now believed as it has always been the same--erratic , unpredictable and challenging.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well hopefully the pump will help somewhat @alohanicky2009, don't know if I've said this before but do try and get your hands on a copy of the book Pumping Insulin.

Reactions: 6 people

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Got the book , and reading it , have got the 2012 edition not sure if there is a newer one , but the library s edition was 2006 , expect it contains valuable information , the information may be dated as technology is moving so fast .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got the book , and reading it , have got the 2012 edition not sure if there is a newer one , but the library s edition was 2006 , expect it contains valuable information , the information may be dated as technology is moving so fast .

Not sure what year the latest edition was printed (my own is probably 2012) but it still gives great information and advice on basal testing and bolusing options to name a few.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
have got the 2012 edition not sure if there is a newer one
Looking at a search on worldcat.org, it looks like they released a new edition roughly every 6 years or so.

First edition 1989, second 1994, third 2000, fourth 2006, fifth 2012. I would look for an update around 2018 give or take a year, but who knows? It's been a long run for that book.

iHs

The Vibe is good in many ways but has terrible screeen display in outdoor light so get a long tube to go with whatever set you want and then try to use a shoulder bag with a zipped outdoor pocket and shove pump in that and then you can access the menu screen from inside the darkness of your bag. As for the waterproof, lots of pumpers can just disconnect from a pump for up to 2-3hrs with very little bg change and even then, a small correction can be given when re connecting.so no need to stay attached to a pump all the time thinking that you will die if you disconnect.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Yes know I can disconnect from pump , but when I am out will be away from land and finding coves and beaches only get to by kayak , and swimming so will e round water a lot ,