Exenatide..anyone using it?

Patsuiter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been advised by a GP friend to try using Exenatide (Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptoe agonists) This is a sub cut injectable drug for type 11 diabetes taken before meals - there is also a weekly inj avaialbe too. It can reduce HbAIc by .6-1%. Also reduces Fasting BSL 1-1.4 mmol and post meal BSL by 20.--3.0 mmol. Also trial ahve shown reduction in weight of .8kg to 1.4kg. The long acting inject is even better results. I got all my info from the Australian Prescriber Vol 31/No 4/ Aug 2008.
I am assuming that the drug is the same name in UK as i'm in Australia. Big advantage to this type of drug is it only acts when stimualted by carbohydrates - no hypo's.
Anyone tried it or other similar drugs? Use is recommended in conjunction with Metformin.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I started on Exenatide (Trade name in UK "Byetta") a week ago. I'm still working through the side-effects (in my case nausea, flatulence, diarrhoea) but I think they are subsiding somewhat. I'm also on Metformin (500mg twice a day) and Gliclazide (80mg twice a day).. both of these are at half the dosage I was on before starting Byetta. I've had to reduce the metformin due to intolerance, and the Gliclazide was cut down to avoid hypos. Still on the low dose of Byetta (which will be doubled from 5 microgrammes to 10 microgrammes after one month. In a week I have seen my blood glucose levels fall... they were always in double figures, but are now mostly between 7 and 10 with the odd peak in the 11's; and my appetite is definitely depressed, though that could be due to the nausea I've been experiencing. Have had excellent backup from the diabetes team....daily phone calls to see how I'm coping and plenty of encouragement to stick it out through the side-effects stage. So we'll see how things go......