1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Exercise (cardio and weightlifting) or end of honeymoon phase causing high blood sugars ??

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by LSwifeofT1D, Aug 29, 2019.

1. LSwifeofT1D

LSwifeofT1D · Newbie

Hi! My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?

2. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

If the raised bg was caused by end of honeymoon, it would be all the time not just when exercising.
    Different exercise affects each of us differently. But typically resistance training and HIIT will cause bg to rise.
    I find this with climbing so aim for a lower bg when I start. I would bolus a correction dose aiming for between 3.0 and 3.5 when I start. This sounds scary but as climbing raised my bg, I would not hypo. Then after climbing, I would correct my high as usual... as if it was a "sick day".

Your husband may find, as his body gets used to the work out, the bg impact is less so he needs to continue testing and adjusting his insulin dose.

• Like Like x 1
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My sugar levels are always higher after a hard swim. I generally ensure my level is ok when I go into the water for safety and take a correction when I come out. Often find I will need to take extra throughout the day. It is the type of exercise as your husband is finding out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trishmacgregor

trishmacgregor Type 1 · Member

Hi. I’m finding the same issue. I’ve been on pump for 4 years and have started to use the peloton exercise system. Example bm at 16:39 was 12. When I finished at 17:00 I was 9.3bm and now at 18:30 I’m up to 17.3 bm before any food. Correcting now before meal. This is really annoying as this has happened at least 3 times. Has anyone else encountered the same thing

5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I try to do my weights before lunch and pop any corrections needed in when dosing for the meal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LuisC

LuisC Type 1 · Member

Hi there!
    Nice to hear so many active people!
    I am 39. 17 with diabetes. Done voleyball, running, swimming, biking (triathlons) and since 3 years ago engaged "only" with weight lifting.
    I also have experience such spikes after the training. So I started pre-bolusing. It worked wonders in my case. Just be prepare with fast absorbing sugars (dextrose) in case of hypos and time properly the insulin bolus. With heavy lifts like squats or deadlifts glucose will spike (so those first in the workout session). Then the isolation work (if needed) like higher reps biceps, triceps...

I would event try first with a light pre-workout meal (e.g. whey protein shake (it needs a bit of insulin to avoid spike)) and then workout with IOB (Insuline-on-board).

Just keep trying and measuring.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask!

Cheers!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook