Exercise/Gym

VerityJ

Ok, I took the plunge last night and joined a gym. I am going for my first session tonight and intend on doing about 50 minutes cardio (combination of treadmill, cross-trainer and bike). I really don't have very much idea about how much to reduce my basal by. I know we are all different and need different adjustments but can anyone point me in the right direction where to start with my first basal reduction, time scale and amount please. Any help would be appreciated.

sticks71

Hi. Like you say everyone is different and you'll likely receive lots of different opinions on this. What worked for me though, was to reduce my basal rates by 50% 2 hours before my workout, with the full basal rate coming back in an hour after my workout.

Obviously very frequent blood tests will need to be done especially when you are just starting your exercise routine. Again, for me, I have to be careful for up to 2 days after as I sometimes get a delayed reaction with my BG levels.

I guess the best way is to reduce your basal levels by a certain %age as a starting point, and then you can fine tune as you progress. Just make sure you have some Lucozade or something similar handy when you are exercising.

Good luck!

VerityJ

Thanks for your reply. That is what I will try today then. I have my bag loaded with glucose in preparation. I really would prefer to be able to just adjust my basal rather than snacking before I go as that seems to defeat the object. I am also going to have an early lunch today so I don't have any active bolus if that makes sense! Thanks for your advice, I will just keep adjusting until I get it right. :crazy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
VerityJ said:
Ok, I took the plunge last night and joined a gym. I am going for my first session tonight and intend on doing about 50 minutes cardio (combination of treadmill, cross-trainer and bike). I really don't have very much idea about how much to reduce my basal by. I know we are all different and need different adjustments but can anyone point me in the right direction where to start with my first basal reduction, time scale and amount please. Any help would be appreciated.

Verity, you may find some answers on Runsweet:

http://www.runsweet.com/

VerityJ

noblehead said:
VerityJ said:

Verity, you may find some answers on Runsweet:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Great. I'll take a look. Thank you.