1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Exercise

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by Carole57, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Carole57

Carole57 · Newbie

Hi have just started going to a gym 3 times a week and was wondering how other type 1's deal with extra activity. I don't want to reduce lunchtime insulin because I go high in the afternoon but also don't want to consume more calories than I need to before 5pm gym session....any suggestions?

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Carole, firstly, well done for considering gym sessions ! So important for everyone, not just those with diabetes. When you start, you may need to experiment a bit and adjust as you go. As a rule, cardio will lower BG. Before you start, check levels. Should be at least 7 really. Depending what you are doing, you could check before and after. I would normally lower my insulin prior toa workout. People are different though. You just need to jump in, test and act accordingly. Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What regime are you on basal/bolus or pump?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook