Exercising when high levels

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning

Just a quick one.

I was planning on going swimming this morning, my waking level was 17 though :/ is it safe to do so or will it have a negative effect?

I don't want to make matters worse :(

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main danger when exercising with levels this high is the possibility of ketones in the system. If you can rule this out, gentle exercise is fine and will actively help to reduce levels. Your performance will probably be impaired slightly due to elevated levels though. I would begin to investigate why I was this high in the first place.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Danny! I think I might just go for a leisurely swim. I've got a review on Monday. My hba1c is 10.9 :( despite 4 xgliclazide daily :( I'm 34 and not overweight so my docs suspects its not a classic type 2. Metformin was pretty pointless and it seem gliclazide is too :(

So down about it all. Feel like what's the point. :(

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you making changes to your diet as well?
You may have covered that previously but I found it massively helped me

My readings were 16.1 on diagnosis and now in the 5-6 range

I'm still getting to know my exercise levels (cycling)

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jaxx01 I have found that a steady pace of exercise, be it walking swimming etc helps to lower the BS levels, where as really active exercise tends to raise them. I think if you take a leisurely swim you should be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed your review with the Dr goes well.

Reactions: 2 people