exercising with a dodgy knee!!!

sugarbabe

hello i am new here so i hope someone can help me...to cut a long story short... i have damaged my knee i have a torn cartlidge and am waiting an operation... i need to exercise but cant get out and about really- yes i have two dogs but live in the country and am scared of taking them out- they are a bit lively! as one jerk of the chain and my leg would buckle- but am depressed about it,,...so need some kind of exercise- can anyone help?thanks....:oops:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I also have a dodgy knee but not so bad that it needs an op!I started out with chair exercises using weights.0.5kg wrist weights to start with,I'm 55 and not that energetic!,now I use 2kg weights and can get up to 100 repetitions on a good day.Avoid step exercises like to plague!!they really do your knee in.How about getting a friend to walk the dogs but you go with them?that way you can still get you exercise without being pulled by dogs.Hope this helps.BTW using this exercise regime and a low GI diet I have lost 2 stone so I must be doing something right!:)

martinbuchan

You need to find the right balance of keeping the muscles tones against irritating the meniscal cartilage tear. For cardiovascular workout try swimming / non poundinf excersize. I would be careful doing weights- any muscle excersize should be closed kinetics (the foot is planted on the ground / platform). ]

If you have any wear and tear in there, then try Glucosamine (~1500mg / day). I do not think they will raise your BS at all. Will help pain and help the joint to recover.

Good luck

Marty B

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Martin,all the weight exercises I do are sitting down! so feet are firmly planted on ground.

martinbuchan

I am thiking specifically of hamstring and quads curls- although you are sitting you will be doing open chain kinetics.

Marty B

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hello Sugarbabe,

If you've got a dodgy anything you must only do low impact exercise. Running for example is high impact and anything putting a strain on the dodgy bit.

A stepper is far and away the best thing - one with pistons and you can set the difficulty. They're around £30 and you can easily do some nice exercises that get you out of breath for 20 minutes, which is good and hold on to a chair or something if you need to.

As ever though, it's boring!

Good luck,

Russ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I have one of those which I use in the kitchen watching TV but it can still hurt a dodgy knee! Even set on it's lowest setting. I use it when my knee is OK but don't do more than 100 on it and I have worked up to that in 10's over a period of time.

rogervansteeden

Hello i got my orbitrek out of the shed since Monday and i exercise 10 minutes in the morning and evening now my bg is down to 12.90 mmol i the morning and 16.6 at bedtime so it seems to be working and i no longer have blurred vision in my left eye.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Water exercise is brilliant and great fun if you find the right group. Most local authority sports centres do them, so it's not too expensive. If your local pool doesn't have any, how about asking them to start some? Yes!it does take a bit of courage to appear in swimwear if your figure is less than perfect, but once the group is all friends, it matters less, Some places even have special goups for older folks or those with health issues and injuries.