Experiences with pumps in labour..

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first pregnancy I was injecting so they made me go on a drip whilst I was in labour. It was a nightmare, the nurses didn't have a clue and bloods were in their 20s!! I've been on a pump for 3 weeks now and I will be refusing to switch to the drip as I feel ill be able to manage it (or my husband/mum will if i can't). I just wondered of any of you ladies experiences with pumps when in labour? My consultant hasn't discussed it yet with me but wondered what the general guidelines were? Are they quite for you managing it yourself? The thoughts of going on a drip again and my insulin administration being out of my control scare ms me half to death! X

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i know exactly how you feel. I hated it, them being in control of my insulin doses but the worse bit was when i had to have steroid injections in the week leading up to the planned induction. i had the opposite problem both times, they told me to keep taking my insulin as usual and they also put me on an insulin drip so guess what, i had loads of hypo's! I kept trying to tell them that i knew i would hypo with all that extra insulin and i had to test my bg every 30 mins and eat pretty much constantly but they insisted they were doing the right thing according to their protocol. I kept asking to see a diabetes consultant but they didn't think it was necessary grrrr, so i kept turning off the drip every time they left the room lol. I was later told that had i been on my own insulin pump i would have been allowed to control it myself so i hope they allow you to do this. My actual births were ok as they let me do my own insulin by injection after all the problems before and both times i stayed in for a week after and nobody asked me my bg level or even mentioned my diabetes within a minute of the babies being born lol. Good luck.

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am type 1 diabetic on the insulin pump 21 weeks pregnant. My doc said he will put me on the drip if I have a c section but I just want to be able to manage my own insulin! I know basal requirement reduces in Labour but this is one area where I like to know more things about. Thanks

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a consultant since the original post and they are happy for me to stay on the pump as long as I feel in control. Around 36 weeks pregnant they want me to set some temporary basal rates if 20% less for when I start getting into labour then minus 20% again for active pushing. Then for post birth whilst breast feeding start with minus 50% of all original pre pregnancy basals and the same with ratios at mealtime.
My main problem is going to be post pregnancy rates as I only got the pump at 21 weeks pregnant and the rates were already too high so I don't have a pre pregnancy set of basal rates to work with

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
This is something unique experience i am listening here. Well i did not hear any of the news about using pump in pregnancy...

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you are in normal labour where do you stick your pump? i know its a very basic question.. but just thought will help hearing from others!

Please reply!