Expert monitor

Akash

Just been diagnosed with type 1 few weeks ago. Last appointment with my nurse she said on our next appointment she is going to introduce me to the 'expert meter'. I don't know if thats the actual name for it or if she was just calling it that it non technical terms. She said it will help a lot with my carb counting, and exercise etc. Just wondering if anyone knows which one she is talking about? Im currently using the very simple 'Freestyle optimum'. By the way, i found out today that they have since stopped making strips for them monitors. Thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Accuchek make the expert meter.

If you know your carb ratio.. You set up the meter and type in pre meal, carbs you are having and it will tell you how much insulin to give without you having to work it out.
It also 'allows' for your blood test results being high or low when it suggests dosage for food.
It gives good reports too onscreen providing you enetrr whether its pre meal, post meal, bedtime etc.
Its the same as the remote control for the pump they make, but it just doesnt blue tooth to a pump.. You have to manually inject instead.
Its a good meter to have.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Its a great meter and im sure the nurse will help to set it up with you The only small fault for me is the larger drop of blood needed compared to most meters

Akash

donnellysdogs said:
Accuchek make the expert meter.

If you know your carb ratio.. You set up the meter and type in pre meal, carbs you are having and it will tell you how much insulin to give without you having to work it out.
It also 'allows' for your blood test results being high or low when it suggests dosage for food.
It gives good reports too onscreen providing you enetrr whether its pre meal, post meal, bedtime etc.
Its the same as the remote control for the pump they make, but it just doesnt blue tooth to a pump.. You have to manually inject instead.
Its a good meter to have.
Thanks for the response, yes i think my nurse is going to enter my carb ratio etc, an personalise it to be, hope it is a bit more informative and helps.

garethnpc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes keep us updated as Im still deciding which meter to go for myself. Currently trying the abbot insulinx and the Glucomen LX+. Just want a the most accurate reading as possible the rest doesnt really matter

Akash

As promised i shall give an update on my new glucose monitor. Its the Accu-chek aviva expert. So far so good very useful in terms of carb counting and easy to use, certainly makes things much easier! Would recommend it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brilliant.. Glad you are pleased with it.. Hope you can get bloodstrips from your go ok