extreme fatigue

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
My fatigue is so bad I even find this site difficult to navigate. Having nursed my wife for almost 3 years until she died last July, I ignored myself. Very difficult to get going and have blurred vision sometimes. Fasting BS around 11 then after breakfast and meds goes up to 14 or 15. Really fed up and so much to do. Recent abH1C was 70 something - around 8. Having it redone in a month or so.

Live alone.

Russ

C

catherinecherub

Hi Russ,
So sorry to hear about your wife. You did the best for her and that is all anyone can ask.

I wonder if you have considered that there is an element of depression in your lack of motivation. We do not always see it ourselves and living alone you have nobody to understand your feelings.

Have you read the advice for newly diagnosed diabetics, it is relevant to anyone who is unable to lower their blood glucose. It might help you get to grips with your management.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Hope things improve for you and please look after yourself.

CC.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Russ,
Sorry to hear of you sad loss. As a carer for my own father (who passed away 4 years ago) I know from personal experience what is involved in looking after someone. The carer is often overlooked yet It becomes so important to ensure that the carer is in good health as much as the person he/she is caring for.
As a diabetic yourself it is important to look after youself, and though your partner is sadly no longer here, if only for her memory, I'm sure that she would want you to look after yourself, and that should also include your own health.
Your B/G and diabetic control is not good, so why not focus your intentention on what your wife would have wanted, and aim to take the control back of your own diabetes.
Please let us know how you get on. With my best wishes.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Russ,
So sorry to hear about your wife. You did the best for her and that is all anyone can ask.

I wonder if you have considered that there is an element of depression in your lack of motivation. We do not always see it ourselves and living alone you have nobody to understand your feelings.

Have you read the advice for newly diagnosed diabetics, it is relevant to anyone who is unable to lower their blood glucose. It might help you get to grips with your management.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Hope things improve for you and please look after yourself.

CC.
Thanks, Caroline. i began anti-depressents about 18 months ago and when they were doubled, I thought it was those that was causing the problem. I have now had them halved and halved again, to try and come off them. I also stopped taking the one that was for heel pain, but don't know where I am. I'm unsure why I've even come on here. I am trying, because I am returning to my local diabetic meetings and getting Balance again. Somewhere in this I have to sell the house.

Thanks.

Russ

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Dear Russ,
Sorry to hear of you sad loss. As a carer for my own father (who passed away 4 years ago) I know from personal experience what is involved in looking after someone. The carer is often overlooked yet It becomes so important to ensure that the carer is in good health as much as the person he/she is caring for.
As a diabetic yourself it is important to look after youself, and though your partner is sadly no longer here, if only for her memory, I'm sure that she would want you to look after yourself, and that should also include your own health.
Your B/G and diabetic control is not good, so why not focus your intentention on what your wife would have wanted, and aim to take the control back of your own diabetes.
Please let us know how you get on. With my best wishes.

Thanks, for your kindness, LB. Please see my reply to Caroline, above. I will try, but focusing on anything isn't easy. It would be easy to give up.

Russ

C

catherinecherub

Hi Russ,

Have you ever considered bereavement counselling?

I know a lot of men keep a stiff upper lip and keep their pain to themselves. This type of counselling may be the way for you to move forward and help you come to terms with things.

If you read this article I am sure you can relate to a lot of things that are being said. Why not give it a try and see if it helps.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bereavement/Pages/coping-with-bereavement.aspx

CC.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Russ,

Have you ever considered bereavement counselling?

I know a lot of men keep a stiff upper lip and keep their pain to themselves. This type of counselling may be the way for you to move forward and help you come to terms with things.

If you read this article I am sure you can relate to a lot of things that are being said. Why not give it a try and see if it helps.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/bereavement/Pages/coping-with-bereavement.aspx

CC.
Thanks again, Caroline. Barnet Carers have been the ONLY agency who I have genuinely felt were on my side. They gave me a short break grant and I used it to have counselling, which they provide. It is excellent. I started when my wife was alive, shoehorning in an hour a week, but found it very helpful. We were so badly served by the NHS because noone would take overall responsibiity (heart/stroke/cancer). My local hospice also provides counselling , but it unwise to duplicate it. I struggle to my church but find it more like A&E with so many problem of others. I do understand that people have busy lives. We were given money when we married, for a new cat, but couldn't care for her as well. The new kitten is now here, as promised, but I resented her at first, because she needed caring for. This is settling.

Thanks for 'listening'

Russ