Extreme loss of appetite

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband has just told me he thinks I've got an eating disorder, I have lost my appetite for the last couple of months or so and the past few says I have been ill and unable to eat, but before I became ill I just don't seem to be hungry any more I manage on half a meal a day and maybe a snack or two but thats it, if it is an eating disorder (which I don't think it is and he is over reacting) if I'm not hungry then surely I shouldn't force myself to eat?

Diabetes really pees me off at times!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm not an expert on this at all. But if you're only eating half a meal a day you won't be getting enough nutrients to stay healthy.

Have you consulted a doctor about your loss of appetite? I should.

Also, how are your blood sugars?

It sounds like your partner is trying to be supportive :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your husband is right to be concerned, eating half a meal a day is not healthy and will only lead to problems further down the road, if you've not discussed this with your gp already then I strongly suggest you do.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It depends upon the basis of the snacks and portion size of the half a meal.....and the calorofic and nutients you ate getting through the meal and also the exercise that you do as well.

I eat very little myself... A half quiche and salad plus a ramekin of berries and cream. Now, I try to have a few slices of cheese as well. I never snack. I have plenty of vitamins. My diet only varies in that the quiche may be swapped for salmon or a fishcake or some veggies. I'm slim and don't want to eat more. I literally do not have any wish to eat or hunger pangs. Never have. Its not because I want to not eat, its just having no appetite.

Anorexics have reasons for not eating. I don't. I just have no hunger pangs. I enjoy cooking and baking but just don't feel hungry to eat extras....

The test for me is whether when we go out for a meal is whether I can eat a full meal and enjoy it... I can and I do.

Illnesses such as this current virus make me eat less as there is literally no appetite at all so I have a complan drink everyday to boost my vitamins.

I would speak to your GP as you may have reasons for not eating that aren't in the details that you have posted. I've never for example needed to lose weight and got carried away with it, I've always been slim or as GP says.. Lean and mean.

It can be signs of allsorts with mental or physical illness so should not be taken lightly..... And you should speak to your GP. We do not know your size, the foods, your mental or physical wellbeing so it is hard for us to make a judgement.

My story is because I think I'm quite different to other people too but my GP's are happy enough with my health and weight and well being...you need to speak to your GP too.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do see the GP. I assume you are adjusting any insulin downwards if needed to avoid any hypos using the meter to guide you.

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do eat just not loads I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 125 pounds, I'll speak to docs next time I'm there some days I do eat more than others it just depends on how hungry I am, if I'm not hungry then I'm not going to force myself to eat something! Today I've had an egg sarnie on small wholemeal bread and currently got lasagna cooking in the oven that I'll have with peas! But I have been poorly and for the last 3 days haven't managed to each hardly anything so actually being able to eat something and being hungry today makes me happy :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I do eat just not loads I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 125 pounds, I'll speak to docs next time I'm there some days I do eat more than others it just depends on how hungry I am, if I'm not hungry then I'm not going to force myself to eat something! Today I've had an egg sarnie on small wholemeal bread and currently got lasagna cooking in the oven that I'll have with peas! But I have been poorly and for the last 3 days haven't managed to each hardly anything so actually being able to eat something and being hungry today makes me happy :)
You sound very similar to me... Almost as if you don't feel hunger.. Which I don't... It is important though that you get enough vitamins and minerals.. Eg from your food today there wouldn't be enough vitamin c plus others would be low. Would be worthwhile considering a multi vitamin tablet.....

I'm very similar that I term my eating to live.. Not living to eat, eat, eat :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello princesskyra,are you t1 or t2, may I ask are you testing regularly? And what is your current hba1c? Are you still losing weight or stable at a good weight for your bmi?

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and yes I do test but not regularly last check it was extremely high about 6 weeks ago, not loosing weight any more seem to have stabled now my bmi is 20

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm type 1 and yes I do test but not regularly last check it was extremely high about 6 weeks ago, not loosing weight any more seem to have stabled now my bmi is 20

Your last check of to do a blood test as a T1 was 6 weeks ago??????

Is that right?

As a T1 why aren't you testing regularly?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh thank goodness for that..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What was your hba1c result?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! Someone says that for weight loss it’s enough to use an appetite suppressant, such as this quickslimmingdiet.com/catalog/product?id=16735
What do you think about that? Will it help or is it all a waste of money?
Hello, you've posted on an old thread, maybe start a new post. :)

Sushibabes14

Sushibabes14

I've had zero appetite since may diagnosed..

I'm desperate now and I've lost so much wieght they are threatening feeding tube..

I discovered I have pancreatic insufficiency.....

This apparently is behind my zero appetite and no hunger.

Hope you find your appetite, don't end up like me..xxx