Extreme Tiredness

JennyTM

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 5 weeks ago and put on Metformin, which I am now on 1 x 500mg 3 times a day. I was suffering from extreme fatique and tiredness for about 2 weeks prior to diagnosis. When I first started the metformin I felt better for a few days and then the tiredness set back in again and I am still suffering today. I have had a lot of time of my Uni course and job simply because I don't have the energy to go in and both are now threatening to sack me/make me delay a year, which I really don't want to happen.

I've been following all diet guidelines and I just don't know what I can do. Did anyone else suffer from this to start with and, if so, how long does it last?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,
Jenny x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jenny,

The tiredness and fatigue you are experiencing are symptomatic of very high blood sugar levels. If you don't already have one, please get yourself a blood sugar test monitor. They are available by mail order or from pretty much any chemist and most of the bigger supermarkets. It is vital that you know just how high your blood sugar levels are otherwise you don't stand a chance of getting them under control.

As you probably realise, blood sugar is a consequence of what you eat. The more carbohydrate in your diet then the higher the blood sugar. So cutting down on carbs is the only way you can bring it down to a healthy level. Did they tell you what your blood sugar was at diagnosis?

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I have the same problem sleepy most of the time,my sugars are high,i bought a meter from the chemist but can you buy the test strips and the lances as my nurse won't give them to me,shan x

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Yes you can. Most chemists sell about 50 strips in a box for about £25, I believe - or you can get them cheaper online - hopefully someone will be along son who can advise you where. In the meantime, the advice to reduce your carbs (not just sugars) is really good.
Good luck
Sue

bumblejoy

Hi
I get the extreme tiredness also. Was diagnosed nov 07. Some days are worse than others. do you take a statin? I understand these can cause tiredness. I know its dreadful but you do learn to live with it and the more you control your sugar the better. Also you will get to know what foods help and which make you feel worse. Trial and error i think. Good luck though and you are not alone.