Extremely concerned and would really appreciate some advice.

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, I have been doing some research about some concerns I have and require some advice. I really apologise for the long post however I am a complete mess with the stress that these concerns have been causing me and really truly appreciate your help.

I am a 24 year old male, 5'10, 70kg (154lbs) with no family history of diabetes and fairly active. In July 2013 I started experiencing persistent tingling and numbness in my left leg that extended into my feet. This has persisted to present date. The doctor said it could be sciatic related due to my job which requires sitting up to 10 hours at a time. He has scheduled me for a CT scan next month.

This is where my concerns arise though. I went for a blood test recently and the doctor said everything was okay. I decided to check my fasting blood glucose number online and I was extremely worried at the reading of 5.8 mmol/L (not the A1c test) which is considered to be pre-diabetes. After googling the symptoms I realised a tingling leg/feet is a direct symptom and I have been freaking out ever since.

However to add another variable into this, I started Symbicort (200/6) approximately 2 months before the tingling started. I then read that this steroid inhaler could increase my blood glucose levels. So now I don't know whether the tingling and high fasting blood glucose test is a direct result of using Symbicort, or if it is unrelated.

Is it possible that a person early on with pre-diabetes and a FGT reading of 5.8 could be experiencing the tingling so soon? Why would the doctor tell me everything is just fine with my blood work if 5.8 is considered pre-diabetic? And how would you guys advise me to proceed? Thank you so much.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A fasting reading of 5.8 is quite normal. It is better to test 2 hours after a typical meal when the reading should be below 8.5mmol max. A fasting reading can also be a bit unreliable due to overnight liver dumps of glucose. Yes, steroids can increase blood sugar but I'm sure nebulisers would. I think you currently don't need to worry about having diabetes unless a few 2 hour meter readings show results above 8'ish. Tingling can have many causes not the result of diabetes so I would keep in touch with the GP on that

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone who knows far more than I do will be along shortly, but a fasting glucose of 5.8 is within the normal range. It's on the upper end of normal, but still falls within the range.

For more information check out the following link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The neuropathy (tingling and pain) associated with diabetes is generally caused by long time untreated high blood sugar. (I had early signs of this before diagnosis, when my blood sugars were around the 18-19 mark).

It does sound like your doctor is going down the right route with recommending a CT scan for sciatica.

Reactions: 2 people

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. A fasting reading of 5.8 is quite normal. It is better to test 2 hours after a typical meal when the reading should be below 8.5mmol max. A fasting reading can also be a bit unreliable due to overnight liver dumps of glucose. Yes, steroids can increase blood sugar but I'm sure nebulisers would. I think you currently don't need to worry about having diabetes unless a few 2 hour meter readings show results above 8'ish. Tingling can have many causes not the result of diabetes so I would keep in touch with the GP on that

Hi Daibell. Do you think I should ask my doctor to schedule an impaired glucose tolerance test? Are diabetes meters a good reliable way too (i.e if I took a test at a hospital and at the same time did one myself with the meter, would the two numbers be the same?). Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Someone who knows far more than I do will be along shortly, but a fasting glucose of 5.8 is within the normal range. It's on the upper end of normal, but still falls within the range.

For more information check out the following link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The neuropathy (tingling and pain) associated with diabetes is generally caused by long time untreated high blood sugar. (I had early signs of this before diagnosis, when my blood sugars were around the 18-19 mark).

It does sound like your doctor is going down the right route with recommending a CT scan for sciatica.

Hi luceeloo. I came across the fact that a long time untreated high blood sugar level will cause tingling however I wasn't too sure, so your reply is comforting to hear. Thank you for this and for the link.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You could ask the GP for a GTT but I suspect with your pretty good readings currently he might be reluctant; but it wouldn't do any harm to ask. The GTT gives a different result from a 'random' finger prick test with a meter. The finger-prick test is useful if you do a few different 2 hour tests to check that you do or don't stay within the 8'ish level. After that a GTT or HBa1C test would be used to confirm diabetes or otherwise. Personally I wouldn't worry too much as 5.8 is good, but doing more finger-prick tests won't do any harm and might re-assure you

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi there.
those readings arent too bad at all, i would not worry about diabetes,
as already said the tingling wouldnt happen with numbers that low so see what the scan shows, i do have the tingling but it is nothing to do with my diabetes,there are so many things it could be,try not to worry:)

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. You could ask the GP for a GTT but I suspect with your pretty good readings currently he might be reluctant; but it wouldn't do any harm to ask. The GTT gives a different result from a 'random' finger prick test with a meter. The finger-prick test is useful if you do a few different 2 hour tests to check that you do or don't stay within the 8'ish level. After that a GTT or HBa1C test would be used to confirm diabetes or otherwise. Personally I wouldn't worry too much as 5.8 is good, but doing more finger-prick tests won't do any harm and might re-assure you

Hi Daibell. I shall bring this up with my GP when I see him next week. If he refuses the GTT test do you think I should buy a diabetes meter and do a few different 2 hour tests myself (I've seen some in Asda) or do you think there's no need for this? Thanks again for your advice, it means a lot!

Hi there.
those readings arent too bad at all, i would not worry about diabetes,
as already said the tingling wouldnt happen with numbers that low so see what the scan shows, i do have the tingling but it is nothing to do with my diabetes,there are so many things it could be,try not to worry:)

Totsy that is very reassuring to hear thank you! I really hope I'm not coming off as a forum reassurance junkie but I just really really freaked out when I saw the FGT reading alongside the persistent tingling symptom! Hopefully the scan sheds some light on this.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I know what you mean.. I get a bit paranoid about complications too. I personally keep a log of my BG levels, just for my own satisfaction. Meters are inexpensive but the strips are pricey. You could invest in a meter and 50 strips to do some regular tests and a few days and then you will see the pattern and put your mind at rest. Just don't fret...
I get a lot of tingling in my feet but not if I keep my sugar levels down to 6 or 7.
I've had several health benefits since watching my sugar levels, esp. inflamation.
It's a good thing all around.

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know what you mean.. I get a bit paranoid about complications too. I personally keep a log of my BG levels, just for my own satisfaction. Meters are inexpensive but the strips are pricey. You could invest in a meter and 50 strips to do some regular tests and a few days and then you will see the pattern and put your mind at rest. Just don't fret...
I get a lot of tingling in my feet but not if I keep my sugar levels down to 6 or 7.
I've had several health benefits since watching my sugar levels, esp. inflamation.
It's a good thing all around.

DiamondAsh I am just like you haha.

I thought the tingling in the feet was bought about by untreated high blood glucose levels for a long time? Do you have pre-diabetes? And sorry could you explain what you mean by inflammation? Thanks.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
So sorry this is worrying you so much. I agree with the others that 5.8 is fine but it does depend when it's taken. As others have said, a diabetic person is advised to take a BG reading before a meal and two hours after. That should give you a decent reading. Like someone else said a fasting blood test isn't the best to take as I know mine is a lot higher first thing and that's without doing anything at all. The liver seems to recognize that I am up and about and thinks I need a boost to get me going!

In this instance I think you need to take a deep breath and for the time being, try to stop worrying. Your doctor knows the first steps with this kind of symptom and the tingling really may be nothing more than sciatica. Well, I say nothing more but you know what I mean :)

The internet is an invaluable source of information but I sometimes think it can exacerbate worries we may have nagging away at us. Oh and by the way, I sat on the loo too long yesterday (well, it was a VERY good book!:D) when I got up I almost fell over because my leg had gone completely dead, the tingling when it came back to life was absolute agony! So perhaps your leg tingling IS due to sitting for so long. I know it's recommended that you try to get up and walk around a bit every now and then if you are sitting down for long periods. Maybe do some internet research on that ;)

Good Luck :)

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I have lots of Diabetes in my family on both sides and can see that I;m heading that way myself. I decided to watch my BG levels after my Doc told me they ywere high. but I never realised that I would actually have any short term benefits... For the passed 6 years or so I;ve had swollen left ankle and by inflammation, I mean my calves were swollen,,,, it could have been water retention , I don;'t know but it has gone now. Personally I believe that anyone who watches their BG levels will reap good rewards. The body is a finely tuned machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So sorry this is worrying you so much. I agree with the others that 5.8 is fine but it does depend when it's taken. As others have said, a diabetic person is advised to take a BG reading before a meal and two hours after. That should give you a decent reading. Like someone else said a fasting blood test isn't the best to take as I know mine is a lot higher first thing and that's without doing anything at all. The liver seems to recognize that I am up and about and thinks I need a boost to get me going!

In this instance I think you need to take a deep breath and for the time being, try to stop worrying. Your doctor knows the first steps with this kind of symptom and the tingling really may be nothing more than sciatica. Well, I say nothing more but you know what I mean :)

The internet is an invaluable source of information but I sometimes think it can exacerbate worries we may have nagging away at us. Oh and by the way, I sat on the loo too long yesterday (well, it was a VERY good book!:D) when I got up I almost fell over because my leg had gone completely dead, the tingling when it came back to life was absolute agony! So perhaps your leg tingling IS due to sitting for so long. I know it's recommended that you try to get up and walk around a bit every now and then if you are sitting down for long periods. Maybe do some internet research on that ;)

Good Luck :)

Hey Popsy thank you so much for your kind reply! From what I've gathered the fasting blood glucose test indeed isn't the best test so I will be pushing my GP for a GTT. I even read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that if you fast for too long the liver releases glucose into the blood and I did fast for about 12 hours. Hopefully the tingling is just sciatica from sitting too much.

I actually laughed out loud at your loo story. It happens to me every time also! I spend far too much time on my phone whilst in the loo (unless the battery is low in which case its back to reading the good old back of the shampoo bottle :D) which causes an unbelievabe dead leg everytime and I have to shake it back into life which is the worst feeling.

Take care :)

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Extremely stressed out at the moment. After having a discussion with my doctor it turns out my FGT level was actually 6.2 and not 5.8 like I had previously thought. It turns out a blood test I had 4 years ago gave me a reading of 3.5. He has sent me for a Hb1ac test as well as an oral glucose tolerance test.

I don't know why this is happening to me. I am so upset at the moment. I only weigh 70kg with no family history of diabetes and I lift weights from time to time and eat decent (I snack a lot). My doctor told me I have nothing to worry about and that I am young, fit and healthy and that one FGT reading doesn't mean anything but still I can't help but worry. He also told me what you guys told me here and that the tingling in no way can be due to neuropathy. As I was about to leave he told me I still look extremely stressed and I told him it's true I haven't even been sleeping due to worry. I'm so sorry to the actual diabetic sufferers here it may seem really trivial compared to what you have to deal with :(

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Worry is never trivial, it's real to you and it sounds like your doc knows you. Wait until the test results before you worry overmuch ok? Please? At least try to :)

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Worry is never trivial, it's real to you and it sounds like your doc knows you. Wait until the test results before you worry overmuch ok? Please? At least try to :)

Thanks popsy. Unfortunately I can't help but worry until I see actual numbers that fall within a normal range. I do hope they are good and that the FGT was a one off.

12 hours before my FGT test I had about 8 slices of garlic bread, is this relevant in any way? Do you think that fasting for 12 hours is too long? Also when I arrived at the hospital I was a bit out of breath because I walked it, could that have spiked the glucose levels?

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Forgot to ask this in my previous post. Is it possible for a fasting reading to give 6.2 (a one off high) and when retested within 4 weeks to give say a reading between 4-5 for a person without diabetes? Thanks.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly I think your fasting reading is ok. Secondly Symbocort may increase your levels as would any medication containing steroids, I know this from experience. I think the tingling is probably coming from a problem in your back so the CT scan is a good idea. You didn't mention a back problem but I too have experienced tingling along with my prolapsed disc.

I have found a chiropractor has helped in the past so if you have access to one it really is worth a try, Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Firstly I think your fasting reading is ok. Secondly Symbocort may increase your levels as would any medication containing steroids, I know this from experience. I think the tingling is probably coming from a problem in your back so the CT scan is a good idea. You didn't mention a back problem but I too have experienced tingling along with my prolapsed disc.

I have found a chiropractor has helped in the past so if you have access to one it really is worth a try, Good luck.

Yes steroids increased FBS. And once off your FBS should return to normal.

Hi guys. I've just come back from a stressful day at work so thank you for the posts, they made me feel a lot better :). Since last Sunday evening I have stopped Symbicort (I shouldn't have been on it for so long on this dose anyway). Shelly I was thinking about going to a chiropractor also but I wanted to wait for the CT scan result first. Sunshinegirl I really hope that it was the steroid inhaler causing the elevated FBS and that it returns to normal.

I've booked my OGTT and hb1ac test for next Tuesday. The lady said to fast from 10pm and I should be there for 9am. She said they'll draw blood and I'll be given Lucozade to drink and tested 2 hours later.

Regardless of what the results will be I have decided to make changes to my diet to eat more healthy. I went to Asda after work today for some groceries and instead of buying white bread I chose brown bread. Crisps, chocolates and drinks were replaced by crackers, snackajacks, raisins/fruits etc and no added sugar Ribena and Robinsons. I'm also going to try and add non starchy vegetables into my diet.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done those changes will help, its really hard at first but you can get some good low carb recipes both on this forum and on the Internet. Let me know how you get on next week. If your CT scan is some way off you may want to try a chiropractor in the meantime. They should take your medical history first then they will know the best treatment for you. Good luck