Prediabetes Extremely Tired, thirsty, strange taste in mouth, headache for hours after eating carbs

Hainesworld11

Hi there, recently I've been experiencing these symptoms, and was shocked to find that they may be symptoms of diabetes? I should say that I went on a very low carb diet a few years ago, but always had issues with energy prior the diet with hydration, candida on my tongue, a strange sour/bitter taste in my mouth after eating carbs, plus frequently getting throat infections. The low carb diet really improved my health, but always had issues with excessive urination, especially during the night. I thought that maybe going back to carbs would be a good experiment to see how I would react. It hasn't been going too well, though I am sleeping a bit better.

Anyway, I've been eating carbs again for around a month, yesterday I had fish and chips from a chippy and I experienced major symptoms of hyperglycaemia; exhaustion, thirst, frequent urination of clear urine, feeling slightly tingly for hours after eating. Feeling the same thing this morning after breakfast.

I have ordered a blood sugar testing thing and I am doing a blood test in the next few days..

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to contact the doctor and get an HBa1c test.
Only doctors can diagnose

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @MrsA2

Everyone here is willing to help but you need to get tested and then if diabetic you will need to reduce your carbs again and test your levels to determine how many carbs your body can tolerate.

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do see the GP for an HBA1C test. Before your meter arrives you could ask the local pharmacy for a free finger prick test. Try to do it very roughly around 2 hours after a meal.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Absolutely. I know pharmacists at Lloyds as an example in the UK will perform a finger prick random BG test and also a BP test too.

The key is getting an HbA1c test from your local surgery as soon as you can...then the professionals can diagnose from there...

All the best!