Eye laser treatment

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
I've recently been given an appointment for laser treatment on my left eye due to a build up of fluid caused apparently by previous bad control of my diabetes. Has anyone else had this done and does it hurt or what can I expect them to do. I am petrified of having this done because of the risks, however rare they might be. When the consultant asked me to sign a form I told him I've not had time to read it yet. He said it is more or less how I've explained it to you. My memory is awful and could not remember so I've asked him for a copy to which he agreed. This was four weeks ago and I've received nothing so far. I've even popped into the hospital clinic and asked if they will send me a copy, again nothing even though the nurse took my number so she could ring me and I would go and pick it up. Also I know I could cancel the treatment but I've already waited over four weeks and don't know what to do next. :problem:

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Montana said:
I've recently been given an appointment for laser treatment on my left eye due to a build up of fluid caused apparently by previous bad control of my diabetes. Has anyone else had this done and does it hurt or what can I expect them to do. I am petrified of having this done because of the risks, however rare they might be. When the consultant asked me to sign a form I told him I've not had time to read it yet. He said it is more or less how I've explained it to you. My memory is awful and could not remember so I've asked him for a copy to which he agreed. This was four weeks ago and I've received nothing so far. I've even popped into the hospital clinic and asked if they will send me a copy, again nothing even though the nurse took my number so she could ring me and I would go and pick it up. Also I know I could cancel the treatment but I've already waited over four weeks and don't know what to do next. :problem:

Fear not, it's all pretty straight forward and will take about 20 minutes and you will still be able to see straight after the treatment. The treatment is virtually painless, just a very bright light for a split second, repeated a few times during the procedure. You will have anaesthetic drops put in to your eye and possibly some drops to dilate the pupil. The only issue that can come from the treatment (if you have large numbers of shots) is that the retina can develop blind spots where many shots are grouped together. The number of laser shots is usually not many in the first instance, a guess would be somewhere between 5-20ish. I have had over 2500 shots in the last 10 years or so, treating both eyes.

I have since suffered a detached retina which the doctors put down to the amount of scarring caused by the laser, but even that has been operated on successfully. My right eye has fair vision with a few blind spots.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Montana said:

Chase it up, I find if you ring the ophthalmologist secretary direct you get things moving more quickly.

As mrburden says it doesn't hurt unless you have multiple laser treatments and they accidently laser over old scar tissue, it's more uncomfortable having to sit still and have the flash of the laser going off every second or two, laser treatment (in most cases) is quite successful so try not to worry too much.

Good luck!