Eye screening and Ketones question

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Couple of weeks ago i had my annual retina screening at the GP. Yesterday I received the results and to my surprise it said that "it appears to be normal"....i was very pleased :clap: the last few years - actually i think since i had my first screening it always said that there was some background rethinopathy present. Obviously it could be that the test was wrong but i am hoping that it was right and the background rethinopathy has gone :clap:

Also i have finally bought my some ketone sticks and i did the first test yesterday. it seems that i am ketone free - the strip hardly changed colour. but the last two/three weeks i have stuck to my low carb consuming on average between 30 and 40g a day. Also my blood sugars now are fasting - in the 7's and the other six daily tests in the 6's, 5's with a couple of 4's thrown in.

does it mean that i am still eating too many carbs and that my body is not burning fat instead? or are my readings still to high to allow me to go into ketosis.

thanks for reading
Claudette xx

MaryJ

Hi Claudette,

From my experience I find the ketostix a bit of a waste of time, I have very few carbs (30-50 per day)and rarely show anything past the 3rd colour. usually I'm the first one.

Mary x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
According to Atkins, some people hardly ever show ketones but still lose weight. I thought I was one of those until I random-tested one day (mid-afternoon, I think) and there they were! Purple! So with me, I don't always show them and they occur at irregular times of day. Okay for me 'cos I'm at home and can test whenever I like.

As long as you're losing weight and your BGs are okay, I wouldn't worry. We're all different. :D

Viv 8)