EYE SIGHT FROM A NEWBIE

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Hi,i'm fairly new to all this,i have type 2 diabetes controlled at the moment by 2 tablets,my nurse put me on the second one when i had a resent bloods done,my sugars were very high, she told me it was the reson for my blurred eye sight and the sugars has distorted the back of my len's.The thing i forgot to ask her was once i get my sugars under control will my eye sight return to how it was,can any one help me answer this please i'm quite worried,for the last week i've been careful not to have sugar in foods but no differant as yet,thanks,Shan x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Shan,welcome to the forum.Once you get your blood sugar levels down below 7 on a regular basis then your eyes should go back to normal ,this may take a while and is dependent on there being no damage to your eyes.If you wear glasses it is an idea not to get new lens until you have got your blood sugars under control to save you having to buy new lens's after your eyes recover.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thank you not so worried now,my nurse won't give me a glucose meter she said i don't need one,but i bought one my self and used it the first time tonight and it read 14.7mmol/l,so i think i'll use it once a week to see if i can get it down to 7,i've been having no sugar since i was told it was high but it don't seem to be coming down,shan x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi Shan,when you shop for food look at the product info on the side of packaging.Read the total carbs ,this is what creates sugar in the blood.If the total carbs are more than 10 then this is quite high .Also try and reduce your intake of Bread,potatoes,pasta and rice and any flour based products as these convert 100% into glucose(sugar) in the body.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi shandromeda
It's not just sugar that puts your blood sugar up. Starch does it too. #iIn fact only 50% of normal sugar becomes blood sugar, but it does so very quicly. 100% of starch does, but it's slower. So you need to be watching your starches too. that's anything madefrom flour, such as bread, cakes, pasta etc, potatoes and other starchy roots, rice and any other grains including Quinoa and breakfast cereals.
If your nurse has told you to eat those, they will all put your blood sugar up. Now you have a meter, try it. You will probably also find it difficult to get any more test strips for your meter. you could try reminding your nurse that NICE guidelines say you should test yourself until you learn what you can and can't eat safely.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thank you both,i didn't know about looking for carbs yes my nurse told me i should be eating brown bread,jacket spuds and weetabix,it's so hard to find things that i can eat as i'm a vegetarian(no fish)diabetic on a diet,theres not much i can eat,any one know were i can look for foods i can have,shan x

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that problem too, I often think it would be so much easier to just eat meat and fish, I tried too a month or so ago but I just couldn't stomach it! There's lots of useful advice on the food and low carb forum on this site.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi Shan,have a look for Chocfish'es posts.she is also a vegetarian, diet only.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I've had a quick look for Chocfish's posts but can't find them could you point me in the right direction please,shan x