Eye worries

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hi fellow diabetics. I have been type 1 diabetic for over 50 years but in November started on an insulin pump which, I have to say, has improved my control no end and has offered so much flexibility. However just before Christmas I noticed a black spot darting in my vision and what I can best describe as a little spider. Been to the optician today and was told these are floaters and were described as debris. Then was informed that I had the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes and was further told that my eyesight had severely deteriorated and will continue to do so.

I don't know if this latest snippet of news is from diabetic complications or just old age...galloping along.

Anyone else had such wonderful news?

A

Anonymous

hi, floaters occurs as we age, cataracts can happen whether or not you are diabetic. as you get use to the floaters, you won't notice them after a while,, and unless you get flashing lights with them I wouln't worry. Diabetes can cause cataract to form but it takes time to develop and some times the medication we take can cause cataracts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased you had the good sense to get your eyes checked Trina :)

As far as I'm aware floaters and cataracts are just part of the natural ageing process... diabetic or not, obviously diabetes may speed up the process but don't know by how much, I suppose the longer we've been diagnosed and bg control will all play a big part.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi people. Thanks for your input. Gees this getting old business isn't all it's cracked up to be. Still at least my thoughts are confirmed. However, I will continue to grow old totally disgracefully. Thanks once again

amandajane

I have had similar news - the diabetic eye test person said my cataracts were worsening but the pressures were fine, 3 days later the ordinary eye test person (different optician) said my cataracts were negligible but my pressure in one eye is so high he has referred me to the glaucoma clinic. It is no fun either being diabetic or getting old but both together is horrible! I suppose the glaucoma clinic will tell me something else.

That's what I hate - going to have one thing done and then they find others - it's a constant round of medical appointments and these can be difficult to fit in while working - but I suppose it is better than the medical profession washing their hands of me!

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, it would seem that no sooner you get one thing sorted, something else conks out., like you said.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Werthepeople said:
No wonder when going for a check up they always ask if ur depressed having all these things wrong would drive u spare lol

I
This made me chuckle. I think I suffer with mild depression occasionally but don't mention it when I go to clinic when they ask. I only found out recently that they ask all diabetics if they get depressed, I thought they just asked everyone lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LemonTree said:
I only found out recently that they ask all diabetics if they get depressed, I thought they just asked everyone lol.

I get paracetamol on presciption for pain relief for osteoarthritis. I get asked this question every time. "Do you get depressed?" I've started to reply, "Only when you ask that question. It just shows that you never listen to me".

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi people. Not been on for a while, but did finally receive the results of latest eye screening. Would you believe it comment was ' don't deal with background retinopathy' but then what is a person to do. I've now not only 2 big black floaters but they are breeding what I can best describe as spiders webs. Strange. I'm now thinking 'where to now?' I suppose I was hoping at least the photos would identify something, but should have known that it would amount to a dead end. Just a wee bit disappointed really. Oh this drama queen kinda knew it would amount to nothing but just how many of these dots and dashes does a person have to have before anything happens?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Werthepeople said:
Im 32 and have these problems tina has iv had laser eye done but not helping much im worried il lose my vision and if that happened i would jst die

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm the exact same as you!