Facial Masking for Covid-19 — Potential for “Variolation” as We Await a Vaccine

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting theory.

"As SARS-CoV-2 continues its global spread, it’s possible that one of the pillars of Covid-19 pandemic control — universal facial masking — might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of “variolation” that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere, as we await a vaccine........"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
As though we here will ever get everybody to mask up. It's a violation of our Constitutional rights and personal freedom don't you know...
And it's because of people who won't mask that I won't be going out until Virginia's numbers go down for about 6 weeks running. Sheesh.
I am old enough that I got a smallpox vaccination!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to venture into town today to pick up my husband's prescription and a few other essential errands, I haven't been out for about 2 weeks. I was shocked how many people weren't wearing masks. It was a bit like 'spot the mask'. A couple of weeks ago I'm guessing about 80% were wearing masks, today it looked like 80% weren't wearing them.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Yikes! It may be the same here; haven't been out. Someone came to personally deliver a business thing to MrZF, and she did not have a mask on. I despair! Neither did he, but he had no idea she was coming.