Prediabetes Falling asleep after eating

Lilliepop

Hello. I think I have ask ask about this problem before but now it's much worst. I used to fall asleep after eating anything with sugar after about half an hour, now I am dropping off to sleep after eating anything and almost straight away. I just did it to day had some cottage cheese and ham and when I finished just went to sleep it's like almost passing out I was sitting up looking on my PC. It's horrible. Was wondering if anyone has this problem or what is making me do this?
My husband used to think it funny but now he doesn't it's worrying. Also I have a slight headache when I come round like a bit of a hangover. I have one Dr saying I'm prediabetic and another one at the hospital saying I'm not.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do this all the time. Instead of feeling guilty I just go with it. The longest I sleep is half an hour but more often about ten minutes and then I pop up and feel well. Stop feeling guilty and divorce the husband.

Reactions: 2 people

Lilliepop

Yes but you feel good when you wake up I feel dreadful. Are you prediabetic? How long have you done this? And is it after eating anything say cheese for instance no carbs?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I think I have ask ask about this problem before but now it's much worst. I used to fall asleep after eating anything with sugar after about half an hour, now I am dropping off to sleep after eating anything and almost straight away. I just did it to day had some cottage cheese and ham and when I finished just went to sleep it's like almost passing out I was sitting up looking on my PC. It's horrible. Was wondering if anyone has this problem or what is making me do this?
My husband used to think it funny but now he doesn't it's worrying. Also I have a slight headache when I come round like a bit of a hangover. I have one Dr saying I'm prediabetic and another one at the hospital saying I'm not.

Do you have home testing kit, for finger-prick tests? If you do, do you know what your blood score is when you both pass out and when you wake?

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I agree that you can check a few things out, to set your mind at rest.

I would get a home blood glucose testing kit (I think the Code Free meter is the cheapest I've seen, available from Amazon and eBay). If you use it to test before and after food, when you feel sleepy, and when you wake up, you will quickly discover if it is a blood glucose issue.

If not, the next thing I would consider is a food intolerance. Keep a note of what you have eaten before the drowsiness strikes. You may discover that a particular food, or food group, crops up every time.

I have two foods that make me yawn till I think my jaw will drop off - soya, and the whey in milk. Cups of tea, protein shakes, milk puddings, tofu... I am yawning within minutes. And a big portion (say a glass of milk) could easily send me to sleep. It is like being mugged by a nap. I just cannot keep my eyes open.

Oddly, I am fine with cheese, cream and butter (because the whey has been removed), but not cows milk yogurt, where it is still present.

If it is a food intolerance for you, the trick is to work out what it is, then reduce portions or avoid it completely, but I'm afraid that the doctor probably won't be very interested in testing, unless you can produce proper allergy symptoms.

Hope that helps.

Lilliepop

Thank you very much for your reply. I do test my blood but only two hours after eating but next time I will test it when I feel sleepy and when I wake up good idea. I know wheat gluten and sugar do make it a lot worst never eat wheat or gluten if I can help it. Sugar is a killer. Well let you know how it goes.

Reactions: ickihun

Pdxdj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm wondering how much aging is a factor. This just started happening in my late 60s. I didn't used to be like this yet ate anything I wanted. Now I fall asleep after eating, often without even noticing it. And it doesn't matter what I eat. Maybe it's natural, maybe it's diabetes. It just seems like my energy is being concentrated on digestion, and therefore don't have it available for my awakeness. Maybe as we get older we have less energy than before. Just guessing. But if I'm out and about or working, I don't get sleepy. Only when at rest at home.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That used to happen very frequently...

But once my glucose level stabilize it is a rare occurrence. And a cup of bulletproof coffee definitely helps.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Skip the dairy for awhile. Gluten intolerance goes hand in hand with dairy intolerance. I can NOW eat an ounce of Brie and I don’t fall asleep but I’m definitely more relaxed and tires. Sometimes a good thing. Starchy carbs like sweet potato and I’m out like a light. Sugar, bloat bloat bloat

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering how much aging is a factor. This just started happening in my late 60s. I didn't used to be like this yet ate anything I wanted. Now I fall asleep after eating, often without even noticing it. And it doesn't matter what I eat. Maybe it's natural, maybe it's diabetes. It just seems like my energy is being concentrated on digestion, and therefore don't have it available for my awakeness. Maybe as we get older we have less energy than before. Just guessing. But if I'm out and about or working, I don't get sleepy. Only when at rest at home.

Interesting one PD. Maybe the last couple of sentences are the telling ones here? I am much the same. I am working physically at the moment. I come home for a quick lunch (small, low carb - 3 / 4 slices of tongue or corned beef plus a lump of cheese). If I stay in my chair I nod off for a short nap. If I get straight back to work I can go all afternoon despite little lunch.
My (random, amateur, probably wholly erroneous) theory is that my physical activity is burning up the glucose. If I sit still my body has to work harder in sedentary mode to rid itself of the excess energy (glucose), so it takes a break and nods off.
Not sure this makes any sense. (I'm a little younger than you but don't look it!)

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diagnosis I was asleep before my 11 yr old daughter and could quite happily have a snooze around 3. My BG was above 30 on diagnoses. Please get it checked out.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Its normally the liver. The liver ages like us all. All other organs too.
You may have fatty liver and need to reduce your fruit andother carbs to give your liver a chance to detox.
Read up on fatty liver and ask gp what your liver results last showed.
Keep me informed.
Ps. Do you take metformin? Metformin is suppose to help but if liver not functioning as well as it could metformin struggles too.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There was an article in the daily fail about a year ago linking it with Hypoglycaemia.

I wish I could have put a link on it!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was an article in the daily fail about a year ago linking it with Hypoglycaemia.

I wish I could have put a link on it!
Now that just led me to 15 minutes on the DF site.. nasty man.. was it a video or an article? I found a video about RH..

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for your reply. I do test my blood but only two hours after eating but next time I will test it when I feel sleepy and when I wake up good idea. I know wheat gluten and sugar do make it a lot worst never eat wheat or gluten if I can help it. Sugar is a killer. Well let you know how it goes.
I experienced this only once before being diagnosed. I sat down to watch TV after lunch and and didn't wake up until the programme had finished. It was just like being drugged. Out like a light.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I experienced this only once before being diagnosed. I sat down to watch TV after lunch and and didn't wake up until the programme had finished. It was just like being drugged. Out like a light.
YES! I get it too! It is as if my eyes are on fire and HAVE to close. It occures mostly when I've eaten something sweet, but can happen following almost any meal .. despite my meals always being small. I've often wondered why it happens! I am Type 2.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I actually fell asleep at the computer while reading this thread now I have a crick in my neck had lunch not long ago.