"False" B.G Meter Readings

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

Can anybody help with this problem?

After just completing the D.A.F.N.E course, I am starting to apply some of the knowledge I have picked up during the course. One of the things that caught my attention was that following a mild hypo, typically through the night and where I hadn't woken up to correct it; the morning after my glucose reading is always high (due to bodies own release of glycogen) to counter the hypo. The reading is nearly always +10. E.g 13.5. I wake feeling hypo (it feels more like 3.5 not 13.5), even though the meter says 13.5. I was informed at DAFNE that this is a "false" reading and not to take a correction for this. What I have found today is, after a hypo there is no glycogen left in the body so when I take some glucose to get rid of the hypo, the reading does not go up at all (the glucose goes straight back to back up reserves not into the blood directly) it sticks at 13.5. Can anyone confirm that this is normal occurance because the body is restoring its own glycogen levels? It is only after dealing first with the hypo that I can then take a corection dose of insulin to bring the reading back down to e.g between 5 and 7. I've lost count recently of the number of times I've taken a insulin correction dose on these "false" high readings only to send my hypo much lower.

In short - The false b.g meter reading is in fact is NOT false, it's accurate. but it's just that you must restore your bodies glycogen stores before you can deal with the high reading.

I would really, really appreciate your help/experiences on this one.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From my own experience - and I may be wrong - but if you hypo during the night your body CAN (not always, but it MAY) release some glycogen to counter it. If you don't wake up to correct it, how do you know youre having/had a hypo ?
Also, it is possible to hypo, just before having Dawn phenominom which naturally raises BS levels. I find DP in myself especially if I do NOT eat before bed and sleep on an empty stomach, so those two things may lead to a mild hypo followed by DP.
Also, symptoms of a hypo can last for a while AFTER its been treated, but also sometimes hypos can feel very similar to hypers sooo thats no help lol

I wouldn't say this is a false reading. The only false readings i have ever got where when i had stuff on my fingers - like oils or lotions, or when taking certain medications. But i have always re checked twice following and its either the same 3 times in a row, or its different once and the other two readings are the 'real' readings.. So next time you think its false, check more then once to verify.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Everyone,

After just completing the D.A.F.N.E course, I am starting to apply some of the knowledge I have picked up during the course. One of the things that caught my attention was that following a mild hypo, typically through the night and where I hadn't woken up to correct it; the morning after my glucose reading is always high (due to bodies own release of glycogen) to counter the hypo. The reading is nearly always +10. E.g 13.5. I wake feeling hypo (it feels more like 3.5 not 13.5), even though the meter says 13.5. I was informed at DAFNE that this is a "false" reading and not to take a correction for this. What I have found today is, after a hypo there is no glycogen left in the body so when I take some glucose to get rid of the hypo, the reading does not go up at all (the glucose goes straight back to back up reserves not into the blood directly) it sticks at 13.5. Can anyone confirm that this is normal occurance because the body is restoring its own glycogen levels? It is only after dealing first with the hypo that I can then take a corection dose of insulin to bring the reading back down to e.g between 5 and 7. I've lost count recently of the number of times I've taken a insulin correction dose on these "false" high readings only to send my hypo much lower.

In short - The false b.g meter reading is in fact is NOT false, it's accurate. but it's just that you must restore your bodies glycogen stores before you can deal with the high reading.

Were you told it was a false reading, or were you told it is a false hypo? When your body is trying to get used to lower glucose levels it can feel like you're having a hypo even at your high levels. I had this for a couple of weeks after starting on insulin.

When you first wake up in the morning, your liver may release glucose. Think of this as a kickstart to help get you moving in the morning, it can happen to anyone, even non-diabetics.

You are not medically hypo unless you're below 4.0mmol/L. Why are you taking glucose when you're above 10? It may feel uncomfortable but you have to let your body get used to lower blood glucose levels and for some people this may take a few weeks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone,

I don't understand how you can simultaneously need to "deal with the hypo" and yet also need a correction dose. 13.5 doesn't need hypo treatment. If I get a high like that, I always wash my hands and recheck, but if its right, I'd correct that high.

Sometimes high sugars can make me feel a kind of weakness that feels a little like a hypo, but a blood test shows it's a high. So no hypo treatment needed.

To my knowledge, meters only give false readings if they're faulty or your hands aren't clean. So if my meter was saying 13 and I'd rechecked it, then it would be a 13 and a true reading.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From my own experience - and I may be wrong - but if you hypo during the night your body CAN (not always, but it MAY) release some glycogen to counter it. If you don't wake up to correct it, how do you know youre having/had a hypo ?
Also, it is possible to hypo, just before having Dawn phenominom which naturally raises BS levels. I find DP in myself especially if I do NOT eat before bed and sleep on an empty stomach, so those two things may lead to a mild hypo followed by DP.
Also, symptoms of a hypo can last for a while AFTER its been treated, but also sometimes hypos can feel very similar to hypers sooo thats no help lol

I wouldn't say this is a false reading. The only false readings i have ever got where when i had stuff on my fingers - like oils or lotions, or when taking certain medications. But i have always re checked twice following and its either the same 3 times in a row, or its different once and the other two readings are the 'real' readings.. So next time you think its false, check more then once to verify.
Thanks for your reply. Interesting you mentioned the dawn phenominom. Only found out about it 2 weeks ago. I saw it for the first time this morning with the Freestlye Libre I've just started using. B.G all night was 7.1 constant. Woke up, after an hour was 9.8. Amazing. Now I can my adjust my insulin for this with ease.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand how you can simultaneously need to "deal with the hypo" and yet also need a correction dose. 13.5 doesn't need hypo treatment. If I get a high like that, I always wash my hands and recheck, but if its right, I'd correct that high.

Sometimes high sugars can make me feel a kind of weakness that feels a little like a hypo, but a blood test shows it's a high. So no hypo treatment needed.

To my knowledge, meters only give false readings if they're faulty or your hands aren't clean. So if my meter was saying 13 and I'd rechecked it, then it would be a 13 and a true reading.
Thanks very much for your reply. I agree with what you have said. After thinking about it last night, I think what I should be doing is eating breakfast but not taking as much for the carbs because part as that seems to go back to reserves. E.G Say my reading was 13.5 and I had 30g carbs, i'd take (at a 1:1 ration) 2 for the high glucose but only 2 units instead of 3 for the carbs. This leaves 10g spare for the re- uptake of reserve glycogen. What do you think?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To my
Were you told it was a false reading, or were you told it is a false hypo? When your body is trying to get used to lower glucose levels it can feel like you're having a hypo even at your high levels. I had this for a couple of weeks after starting on insulin.

When you first wake up in the morning, your liver may release glucose. Think of this as a kickstart to help get you moving in the morning, it can happen to anyone, even non-diabetics.

You are not medically hypo unless you're below 4.0mmol/L. Why are you taking glucose when you're above 10? It may feel uncomfortable but you have to let your body get used to lower blood glucose levels and for some people this may take a few weeks.

Thanks very much for your reply. I have been thinking about this over night. The readings are correct. They are not false, as Ifirst thought. Although I need to correct for the high, I think I need to take a bit less for the breakfast carbs, as part of these seem to go back to reserve (liver) glucose and not into the blood stream results.
knowledge, meters only give false readings if they're faulty or your hands aren't clean. So if my meter was saying 13 and I'd rechecked it, then it would be a 13 and a true reading.
Thanks very much for your reply. What you say is correct. I think what I am saying is that although I should correct for the high blood sugar, I don't need to take as much for breakfast carbs as part of these seem to go straight into the reserves not the blood stream.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much for your reply. I agree with what you have said. After thinking about it last night, I think what I should be doing is eating breakfast but not taking as much for the carbs because part as that seems to go back to reserves. E.G Say my reading was 13.5 and I had 30g carbs, i'd take (at a 1:1 ration) 2 for the high glucose but only 2 units instead of 3 for the carbs. This leaves 10g spare for the re- uptake of reserve glycogen. What do you think?

Hi :)

I'd run that past your DSN first. We're all different so I can only say what works for me, but I've never allowed for 'restocking glycogen' in my insulin to carbs ratios. The only time I think about glycogen is after prolonged exercise where I'm aware there's a risk of hypos some hours after. I've not considered it after hypos if my blood sugar is back to normal (or high).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

I'd run that past your DSN first. We're all different so I can only say what works for me, but I've never allowed for 'restocking glycogen' in my insulin to carbs ratios. The only time I think about glycogen is after prolonged exercise where I'm aware there's a risk of hypos some hours after. I've not considered it after hypos if my blood sugar is back to normal (or high).
Thanks again for your time. I think as you say, everyone is different. I will watch my readings over the next week or so and try to understand my own reactions etc. I think all these things come with experience and testing. It's like a full time job.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much for your reply. What you say is correct. I think what I am saying is that although I should correct for the high blood sugar, I don't need to take as much for breakfast carbs as part of these seem to go straight into the reserves not the blood stream.

I stress I'm no scientist or doctor, so I could be wrong, but I believe that glycogen is restocked from 'excess' glucose in your blood.

A thought occurred to me - have you checked your basal rate is correct? If you're having nocturnal hypos and needing less insulin than you'd think in the morning, then could it be a basal issue?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stress I'm no scientist or doctor, so I could be wrong, but I believe that glycogen is restocked from 'excess' glucose in your blood.

A thought occurred to me - have you checked your basal rate is correct? If you're having nocturnal hypos and needing less insulin than you'd think in the morning, then could it be a basal issue?
Hi, my basal is spot on 26 units in the morning of lantus. Watched the graph this morning, basal remained at 7.1 all night. I only get hypos through the night when I don't check by b.g before I went to sleep. That is my own fault!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is rather a lot of evidence that what you describe, otherwise known as the Somogyi effect, doesn't really exist and is the result of expiring basal and dawn phenomenon.

Given the timing of your Lantus dose, this is the more likely answer to your conundrum.

You say that your graph through the night is steady and that you only get this issue if you don't test before bed. I assume you are using a Libre?

Testing doesn't have an impact on glucose levels, so what is more likely is that either your basal is running out in the night or your pre-bed bolus is having an effect for longer than you were expecting.

I don't know how long you've been diagnosed, but if it is still relatively recently, your pancreas could also be playing tricks on you...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks very much for you reply. I should have mentioned that when I said I only get hypos through the night when sometimes I don't test, I meant when I was using the finger prick test to make sure everything was settled before I go to sleep. Sometime I'd have no idea what my reading was before I went to bed and thus sometimes I would have a hypo. It's only since I got the libre that I could say with certainty that the lantus dosage is spot on as blood sugar didn't change during the night. I have only been using the libre for 2 days, so when I said the reading was constant through the night, I mean with the new libre results being able to show that as long as my glucose was "settled" before I went to sleep e.g 5-7 then the glucose is good all night.