False Hypos

artyfarty30

Hi All,
I was diagnosed with Type 1 on Monday and since then have experienced 2 false hypos. As I wasn't informed of them, I treated the first one with a sip of Lucozade and crackers, the 2nd one, I had a bowl of Weetabix, is this the correct way of treating false hypos??

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi artyfarty30 and welcome to the forum :)
By 'false hypo' do you mean you experienced the symptoms of a hypo but your sugar levels were actually fine? as i've never heard of that term before!
As you are recently diagnosed type 1 your blood sugars will have been running high for some time, so normal levels may panic your body into thinking that these 'lower' levels are getting too low! - causing your symptoms.
Sorry i'm not much use, but the thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10410 might help answer your question :)

artyfarty30

Hi Jones,

You're right, my BG level was 5.6 and I felt shaky, slightly nauseous and my heart was beating fast. I eat some carbs and checked my BG levels an hour later -12.6 and 2 hours later 14.6! I ended up increasing my BG levels instead of taking the edge of these symptoms. Do other people suffer from them and what do they do?

This morning before breakfast my BG levels were 8.6 and after breakfast 9.8. At least they're no longer in high 20's :) However, do feel slightly breathless as I've been doing housework.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
artyfarty30 said:
Hi All,
I was diagnosed with Type 1 on Monday and since then have experienced 2 false hypos. As I wasn't informed of them, I treated the first one with a sip of Lucozade and crackers, the 2nd one, I had a bowl of Weetabix, is this the correct way of treating false hypos??

The 'false hypo's' will decrease once your bg control improves........so don't worry! :)