Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
im not sure where to post this
so im trying here

i need ideas how to deal with family

im getting professional help about the issues
but since they refuse its still very difficult for me

here are some things i need ideas for maybe?

firstly eating with them
its can be normally difficult
but mine sometimes says to just eat
and not measure the portions or use my insulin or test
that its not needed ( and they are very high carb meals)
and i know differently
and ive explained diabetes to them
but they say type 2 isnt real
but i dont want to always eat alone
so i eat with them sometimes

secondly i experience bad hypos from stress
and have a binge eating disorder so when
family stress happens i either binge
on all my food or toss it all out
then im left with nothing to eat but cant go
to them and ask to go to a store
then comes more hypos

third thing is shopping with them
since they are of the low fat high carb thought
they dont understand that i do better with the
opposite way of eating- low carb high fat
so the shopping turns out to be a hassle too
and my bs drops bad enough to have vision
difficulty

anyway thats just 3 of the things i need
suggestions for
but they happen the most

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to offer you some ideas for your questions 1 and 2, but I don't think I can. Family meals can be extremely stressful! And every family is so unique! In the last few years I have found a way round a couple of my family ideosyncracies, but there are still lots left!

However, I can make a suggestion on your third question - the shopping.

We do our main food shop online, and have the food delivered. I love it. Is that something you could set up?
The closest, largest supermarket to us is a Tescos, so that is what we use, but frankly I would use any of the big ones.
There are a number of different options for the delivery, from a flat annual fee to paying for each order. And the prices vary according to the day of the week and the time of day. It can be a very economical arrangement, especially if you factor in the cost of transport, buses or petrol.

I know that you like to shop daily, to prevent having too much food in the house, but would it work for you to have a delivery of the heavy stuff, or foods you are less likely to binge on? Meat for the freezer, pet food, bottled water, that kind of thing. Then you can pick up individual items daily, without having to depend on family for transport.

Hope that helps.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I would like to offer you some ideas for your questions 1 and 2, but I don't think I can. Family meals can be extremely stressful! And every family is so unique! In the last few years I have found a way round a couple of my family ideosyncracies, but there are still lots left!

However, I can make a suggestion on your third question - the shopping.

We do our main food shop online, and have the food delivered. I love it. Is that something you could set up?
The closest, largest supermarket to us is a Tescos, so that is what we use, but frankly I would use any of the big ones.
There are a number of different options for the delivery, from a flat annual fee to paying for each order. And the prices vary according to the day of the week and the time of day. It can be a very economical arrangement, especially if you factor in the cost of transport, buses or petrol.

I know that you like to shop daily, to prevent having too much food in the house, but would it work for you to have a delivery of the heavy stuff, or foods you are less likely to binge on? Meat for the freezer, pet food, bottled water, that kind of thing. Then you can pick up individual items daily, without having to depend on family for transport.

Hope that helps.

thanks so much for the ideas
we have some delivery services here i can try

Reactions: Brunneria