1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fantastic PASTA substitute

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by WhitbyJet, Dec 29, 2013.

1. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

If you are low carb and missing pasta, try this, I think you will be impressed:

LOW CARB PASTA OR LASAGNA SHEETS

4 eggs

125 g cream cheese - could use garlic/herb cheese

50ml or 15g psyllium husks, ground

_______________________________________________________________________________

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.

Whisk together eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husks and set aside for 10 – 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken to a consistency similar to custard.

Line and grease a baking sheet, spread the mixture on to that, then take another sheet of baking paper, grease it with some oil or butter, place it greased side down on top of the dough mixture, now press down with your hands/fingers to spread the mixture thinly and evenly between the two sheets.
    Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes.
    Once its cooked, carefully remove the top layer of the paper and let the sheets cool completely before turning out the pasta sheet and removing the bottom layer of the paper, cut pasta to size. Or use a sharp knife and cut into thin tagliatelle strips.

I serve this with a carbonara, bolognaise or gorgonzola sauce and a huge salad on the side.

Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... later.html

• Like Like x 6
  2. janewatt

janewatt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds great. Now searching for psyllium husks. "Local" Bio shop is over at St Malo (30kms) and has a strange range of expensive stuff, so I'm afraid it'll have to be Amazon.
    There seems to be a variety of powders - are they all much the same? A French site says it's "blond" rather than "noir" that's needed. I've never used it before.

While I'm posting here I wondered if there's any alternative to almond flour or anything I could mix it with? Recent cake attempts using it have had a strange taste and are a bit claggy!

Thanks for all you recipes!

Best wishes,

Jane.

3. aqualung

aqualung Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

thanks whitbyjet, that sounds great. are psyllium husks the same as flax seed or could flax be used instead?

4. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use thin omelettes as a lasagne sheet replacement.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use thin slices of aubergine instead of pasta, and egg and cottage cheese instead of the white sauce. Lovely with some telagio cheese slices on top!

• Like Like x 4
  6. WhitbyJet

Jane, in French they are 'La balle de graines de psyllium (Plantago ovata)'.

Which cake did you make, did you use blanched almonds?

• Like Like x 3
  7. WhitbyJet

No, flaxseed/linseed wouldnt work in this recipe, it wouldnt taste right and would give you the wrong consistency.

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The Hairy Bikers in their series Hairy Dieters used thinly sliced leeks as a replacement for lasagna sheets, my wife made it and it worked out OK although it was a little more chewy than normal.

• Like Like x 3
  9. aqualung

aqualung Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

thanks! I thought I had read somewhere that the two were similar but obviously not:)

10. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also, as a white sauce replacement, I use low fat philly, melted down with some cheddar thrown in.

11. janewatt

janewatt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for translation. Have sent off (at great expense!) to Amazon.fr

Made the muffins that have been on here recently. OKish when covered with berries and Greek yoghurt.
    Also made a coffee & walnut cake from a recipe I found on internet - can't now track it down. It was horrible!

For both used ground almonds from supermarket - packet doesn't say if blanched.

Really want to be able to make simple, standard flavoured (such as lemon, chocolate, coffee & walnut) sponge cakes.

Thanks for your help,

Jane.

12. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just tried a variation as I suddenly fancied lasagne.

Pasta, mixture of Bulgar wheat, quinoa, and a couple of small squashes from my summer crop.
    All prepared until soft, them blended with a couple of eggs, and a couple of desert spoonfuls of low fat phili.
    I don't measure the quantity, just cook by appearances. So enough to give a reasonable consistency, and two baking sheets full.

Couple of tins of tomato, handful of garlic cloves, oregano. mixed herbs, chopped onions, other herbs to taste. Run of out basil though.

Rye flour, olivio, skimmed milk, more low fat phili, and a bit of cheddar cheese for the sauce.

Just made in a really tasty lasagne, pasta was like a wholemeal, but texture was very slightly like it had been aerated, possibly the contrast in the three ingredients was a little too extreme between the hard and the soft. Also the pasta didn't soak up the liquid from the cheese sauce like normal pasta, so it suffered a bit of landslip during serving.

Otherwise excellent.

13. JustDomUK

JustDomUK · Well-Known Member

As an alternative "pasta". Try unrolled leeks. I found this in the Hairy Bikers cook book. It tastes great and the texture is very similar.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook