Fascinating Research On The Role Of Biological Clocks In Controlling Glucose Metabolism.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
It has been known for a long time that we have a 24 hour rhythm of activity for almost all our hormones, brain chemistry, digestive enzymes and heart activity. They are programmed to peak and trough in activity at the optimal time within the 24 hours. This circadian rhythm is controlled by circadian clocks, which are present in every organ.

An interesting article in The Scientist has relevance to diabetics, as it discusses how circadian muscle regulation may have an effect on how glucose is getting into muscle fibres (or not).

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/muscle-clocks-play-a-role-in-regulating-metabolism-64705

This work has shown that the circadian rhythm has a major effect on carbohydrate metabolism in muscle tissue. Interfering with this rhythm in mice led to disrupted glucose metabolism, leading to obesity and metabolic syndrome. Further interference with other genes that are involved with controlling the circadian rhythm led to glucose intolerance and abnormalities in gluconeogenesis. This appears to be due to the disruption of the sensitivity to insulin in that phase of the rhythm where the mice are active and feeding. The muscle tissue was not able to efficiently transport glucose into the muscle in the presence of insulin. This was found to be due to the reduction in transport proteins on the cell wall and the reduced activity of an enzyme inside the muscle cell that metabolises glucose.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Metabolism_Boss, A fascinating read. And I am guessing that operation of these 'clocks' are part of why my insulin pump settings for insulin sensitivity vary between morning and evening. And it also makes me wonder about those prone to sleep apnoea and have T2D - what came first sleep problems or T2D?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And it also makes me wonder about those prone to sleep apnoea and have T2D - what came first sleep problems or T2D?

In my case, it was definitely the sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea just over 10 years ago (I've used a CPAP every night since then) and my Type 2 diagnosis was just at the end of June. My hba1c was normal when I got the sleep apnea diagnosis (I've always been a loud snorer, I believe I had the sleep apnea for many. many years (although it worsened with age) . In my case, although circadian rhythms may play a role, the major reason for me is structural - the inside of my throat is smaller than most people's according to the anesthologists who've intubated me. For this reason and with the severity of my sleep apnea (very severe range, over 87 events every hour, more than one every minute), I use my CPAP mask anytime I lie down where there is a risk of falling asleep.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My sleep problems started in my late teen/early twenties so if this is one of a number of possible causes relating to T2 it came first and worsened over the ensuing decades. I was diagnosed at 58, though, so I am unconvinced that it was a direct cause. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: kitedoc

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I didn't want to sleep once I was woken by an abusive drunk dad. He tried to attack my mum on many occasions. If I was awake I could run away from it. I was only a litte more than a toddler. Hence diabetes symptoms at 6yrs old with stress.

So yes awake when should be asleep always affects my bgs.
Shift work too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shift work is known to lead to increased rates of obesity but we can all relate to the behavioural changes that go with sleep deprivation too e.g. needing coffee and sugar to get going after a night with small children or too much alcohol! I am really sorry for those who cannot sleep easily for reasons beyond their control. Thanks for the research link.

Reactions: ickihun and kitedoc