Faster Insulin Aspart: Finally in the wild and in my hands!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Today I received my first batch of FIAsp from the pharmacy thanks to a few shenanigans with the pharmacist, GP and Diabetes Consultant. I intend to conduct a few tests with it over the coming week or so. But first up, I've turned off the loop and it's FIAsp versus Krispy Kreme. Will it be true to what they say. Peak insulin effect in 35-45 mins? 70% active in 30 mins?

We shall see!!!

IMG_1735.JPG

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I received my first batch of FIAsp from the pharmacy thanks to a few shenanigans with the pharmacist, GP and Diabetes Consultant. I intend to conduct a few tests with it over the coming week or so. But first up, I've turned off the loop and it's FIAsp versus Krispy Kreme. Will it be true to what they say. Peak insulin effect in 35-45 mins? 70% active in 30 mins?

We shall see!!!

View attachment 22296
On tenterhooks @tim2000s.

Reactions: genix

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is this voodoo, my chemist couldn't even find it on their system even with the PIP. My GP a fellow T1 said it wasn't approved for prescribing yet.

Exciting. What shenanigans did you do?, worth someone else following through?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its been 30 odd minutes since Tims post............has the krispy Kreme won??!?!?!?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here! @GrantGam , Baited breath.

Though I did have to Google what a "Krispy Kreme" was....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol. Well it appears to be working quite well. The Krispy Kreme is definitely not winning....!

To get hold of it, I tried speaking to my DSN, Consultant, GP, etc. No-one could prescribe FIAsp as they had to wait for it to arrive on the formulary. My consultant said that if I could get it, then she would be very interested in the results.

However, harking back to blog post I made, the UK listing of these things isn't by brand name but by insulin name, and this may be branded FIAsp but it is still insulin aspart.

I went to see my friendly pharmacist with whom I'd already been discussing this and we worked our way through the PIP codes to find the one that was in her system. She agreed to put a note on my account saying that when they received a prescription to order insulin aspart, they would order the FIAsp PIP code.

I then spoke to my GP and got them to change from penfills to phials,explaining why I was doing so. They were happy to support it as long as my consultant was, and were happy for me to confirm that.

The prescription for Insulin Aspart vials was issued last night. It went to my pharmacy this morning. They ordered it and it was in by 3pm. Job Done. No-one had to do anything they couldn't, but it took a bit of me linking things together and taking advantage of the way the system worked.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. Well it appears to be working quite well. The Krispy Kreme is definitely not winning....!

To get hold of it, I tried speaking to my DSN, Consultant, GP, etc. No-one could prescribe FIAsp as they had to wait for it to arrive on the formulary. My consultant said that if I could get it, then she would be very interested in the results.

However, harking back to blog post I made, the UK listing of these things isn't by brand name but by insulin name, and this may be branded FIAsp but it is still insulin aspart.

I went to see my friendly pharmacist with whom I'd already been discussing this and we worked our way through the PIP codes to find the one that was in her system. She agreed to put a note on my account saying that when they received a prescription to order insulin aspart, they would order the FIAsp PIP code.

I then spoke to my GP and got them to change from penfills to phials,explaining why I was doing so. They were happy to support it as long as my consultant was, and were happy for me to confirm that.

The prescription for Insulin Aspart vials was issued last night. It went to my pharmacy this morning. They ordered it and it was in by 3pm. Job Done. No-one had to do anything they couldn't, but it took a bit of me linking things together and taking advantage of the way the system worked.
First in the UK on this then @tim2000s?

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
With a ten minute pre-bolus that would go into double figures - for that short a pre-bolus I'd expect to have hit 12 @azure. When I've pre-bolused 40 mins before with Novorapid, I've seen similar figures.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @tim2000s Thats easier to visualise now :)

I must admit I did think it would be faster/better though. Those figures look similar to what I'd get with Humalog except my BS would be back in range quicker, presuming I'd carb counted ok.

I was hoping you'd say "...and I never went above 6.5" : D

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GIMME THAT DONUT.......

Seriously, @tim2000s , I love how you boldly go to places not on my diabetes radar and report back with really top-notch information - huge respect and a big cheer! I shall continue to follow this thread with interest!

Now, about that donut...... :p

Reactions: spook_kate_

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you @tim2000s Thats easier to visualise now :)

I must admit I did think it would be faster/better though. Those figures look similar to what I'd get with Humalog except my BS would be back in range quicker, presuming I'd carb counted ok.

I was hoping you'd say "...and I never went above 6.5" : D
Which figures? The FIAsp or the Novorapid?

And I reckon with a 20-30 min pre bolus, I don't think I would!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And with a 10 minute pre-bolus? Wow! That's not the experience I had!

I think we all react differently :) I can get away with a 10 minute bolus any time except breakfast. if I ate it first thing, I'd probably get worse results.

I am sensitive to insulin though. I use porcine usually and save the Humalog for something like a Krispy Kreme or similar, or when I need to get my BS down fast eg for a correction.

Reactions: genix