Fasting and Dawn (in my case anytime) Phenomenon

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm doing LCHF and have got my levels down from 12/13 to mainly 6's.

I'd like to add in fasting to further improve things and to help my weight loss but I find that my levels rise into the high 7's or even 8's if I miss meals.

Would fasting not be a good idea in my case or is this something that will right itself if I fast.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I do it and it helps me a lot. Just tried it out and it works .... but that is just my experience

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way to know if it would work for you is to give it a go. Im the same as you and my BS will rise if I dont eat.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd like to add in fasting to further improve things and to help my weight loss but I find that my levels rise into the high 7's or even 8's if I miss meals.

Would fasting not be a good idea in my case or is this something that will right itself if I fast.
As far as I can see if you miss occasional meals you may well get a liver dump, but if you do a more "structured" fast you'll deplete your glucose levels enough so that you get lower levels as there's nothing left as back up to dump.

However I find that I tend to get a liver dump too if I don't eat, but when I've been able to manage a fast, my levels do go down and stay down for a short while, but will try to come back up and start oscillating rather than stabilising after 2-3 days of eating within a limited time "window"...

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been low carbing since diagnosis at the end of October but have recently started fasting on monday wednesday and friday. Got my lowest morning measurement 5.5 after the last fast day and I am usually high sixes and low sevens when i get up. On my fasting day I only have tea and coffee with unsweetened soya milk.. have also dropped a few extra pounds too. Give it a go it may work for you too.

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I can see if you miss occasional meals you may well get a liver dump, but if you do a more "structured" fast you'll deplete your glucose levels enough so that you get lower levels as there's nothing left as back up to dump.

However I find that I tend to get a liver dump too if I don't eat, but when I've been able to manage a fast, my levels do go down and stay down for a short while, but will try to come back up and start oscillating rather than stabilising after 2-3 days of eating within a limited time "window"...

Robbity

Thank you @Robbity that's very helpful

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been low carbing since diagnosis at the end of October but have recently started fasting on monday wednesday and friday. Got my lowest morning measurement 5.5 after the last fast day and I am usually high sixes and low sevens when i get up. On my fasting day I only have tea and coffee with unsweetened soya milk.. have also dropped a few extra pounds too. Give it a go it may work for you too.

Thank you @bulkbiker I am going to give it a go. I actually find it very easy to miss lunch and dinner so will probably go with just eating dinner to start with and then progress onto whole days.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, give it a go.

It re-energised my weight loss after being stuck at a level for weeks, and BG wise I find it stabilises during the day in the low 4's for me.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you @bulkbiker I am going to give it a go. I actually find it very easy to miss lunch and dinner so will probably go with just eating dinner to start with and then progress onto whole days.

Just remember to keep your fluids up - as in drink heaps, and ensure you have enough sodium - as in making sure you have it. Having broth/stock/bouillon has helped many, me included. (Can prevent nausea and fainting/weakness.) This is especially important in no-food fasts, I believe. (Something to do with kidneys and salt.)

And watch out for constipation - can be a most unpleasant side effect. I take konjac root/gluccamannan (with water) as a preventative and it works great.