1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting and Dawn (in my case anytime) Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by superwoman1964, Dec 25, 2015.

1. superwoman1964

superwoman1964 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm doing LCHF and have got my levels down from 12/13 to mainly 6's.

I'd like to add in fasting to further improve things and to help my weight loss but I find that my levels rise into the high 7's or even 8's if I miss meals.

Would fasting not be a good idea in my case or is this something that will right itself if I fast.

2. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Look up Jason Fung. He recommends fasting for type 2s.

3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I do it and it helps me a lot. Just tried it out and it works .... but that is just my experience

4. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only way to know if it would work for you is to give it a go. Im the same as you and my BS will rise if I dont eat.

5. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

As far as I can see if you miss occasional meals you may well get a liver dump, but if you do a more "structured" fast you'll deplete your glucose levels enough so that you get lower levels as there's nothing left as back up to dump.

However I find that I tend to get a liver dump too if I don't eat, but when I've been able to manage a fast, my levels do go down and stay down for a short while, but will try to come back up and start oscillating rather than stabilising after 2-3 days of eating within a limited time "window"...

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I've been low carbing since diagnosis at the end of October but have recently started fasting on monday wednesday and friday. Got my lowest morning measurement 5.5 after the last fast day and I am usually high sixes and low sevens when i get up. On my fasting day I only have tea and coffee with unsweetened soya milk.. have also dropped a few extra pounds too. Give it a go it may work for you too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. superwoman1964

Thank you @Robbity that's very helpful

• Like Like x 2
  8. superwoman1964

Thank you @bulkbiker I am going to give it a go. I actually find it very easy to miss lunch and dinner so will probably go with just eating dinner to start with and then progress onto whole days.

9. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, give it a go.

It re-energised my weight loss after being stuck at a level for weeks, and BG wise I find it stabilises during the day in the low 4's for me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just remember to keep your fluids up - as in drink heaps, and ensure you have enough sodium - as in making sure you have it. Having broth/stock/bouillon has helped many, me included. (Can prevent nausea and fainting/weakness.) This is especially important in no-food fasts, I believe. (Something to do with kidneys and salt.)

And watch out for constipation - can be a most unpleasant side effect. I take konjac root/gluccamannan (with water) as a preventative and it works great.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook