Fasting and using Metformin

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BG levels are coming down well but I would like to do a couple of 16 hour fasts to see if this helps but I take metformin 3x a day and I have to eat with them, could I take them on an empty stomach ??

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ohh that is a difficult one to answer. It depends how your body reacts to them. Why not give your nurse a call at your GP surgery and ask them. I do not know if any other members have fasted whilst on Met.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I have. I agree you should seek medical advice first but I was fine fasting while taking met.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I have done it taking 500mg twice a day. It was not comfortable the first time I did it, to be honest. I believe I had an upset stomach that do. Now I do it maybe 50% of the time and I'm ok.

There are days where I dont feel like eating until lunch, and take my Metformin on an empty stomach in the morning. I've also skipped dinner once in a while, and that's when I take my 2nd dose, and I've been fine.

I think for me, my body just got used to it.

Did you have an upset stomach when you initially started the medication?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 2x500g metformin SR (originally prescribed as both with evening meal, but now split between morning and evening meals). I've done a few occasional approx 24 hour fasts and some shorter 12-14 hours without any problems while taking this.

I originally took the standard Metformin but I never fasted while taking that, and rarely had any stomach upsets with it either apart from when I was temporarily given a different brand which really did make me feel quite bad.

I agree it probably depends on how your body responds to it, but best seek medical advice as already suggested. But do be prepared to possibly be told you should be eating 3 meals a day! :D

Robbity

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. I did use to have problems with Metformin when I first took it but this last month has been good. I often have my third tablet with just 3 walnut halves and have no side effects so think I might give it a go