Fasting BGs and metformin?

Franky69uk

I take 4x500 Metformin twice daily morning and evening. Normally I do my fasting BG each morning without fail and then take Metformin with breakfast. The readings normally average in the range 7.2 -7.5 . No matter how I try I'm having difficulty changing this although I really would like the readings to be a bit lower.
This morning, just as a trial run, mainly out of curiosity I decided to take the Metformin before doing the fasting BG. I waited for probalby up to an hour then took the reading which came out at 6.2!!!. Then I had breakfast.
My question really is do others on Metformin take the morning dose then do the fasting reading and if so what effect does it have? It does seem to convinvce me that Metformin is a valuable help in keeping BGs down and if nothing else convinces me of its value.. However, is doing it the way that I did this morning a form of fooling yourself especially as Metformin is supposed to be taken during or after having food?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Franky,
IMHO the test you did today was not a fasting test as it was not done straight away when you got up but an hour later.
It also makes me wonder if your levels are slowly getting better and, although there is no way of going back, if you would have had a better reading than normal today.

You may also find that the dawn phenomenon comes into play with your fasting levels.

I hope the rest of the day goes well for you and disrupting the metformin routine does not push your levels up later.

Catherine.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Metformin works in three ways, firstly it slows down the absorption of carbohydrates in the intestines.

Secondly it reduces the amount of glucose released by the liver.

And thirdly, it increases insulin sensitivity.

I too take 4 X 500 metformin and I reckon it makes between 1.5 and 2mmol/L difference to my numbers as when I forget to take it my readings increase by about that much.

I always take a fasting reading before any food or medication so I get a true fasting reading, I then take my metformin with my breakfast and later in the day with my evening meal.

Franky69uk

Thanks for your comments which I'm grateful for. I'll now revert to doing my fasting BG as soon as I get up and before I take my Metformin. It was interesting to see the effect Metformin has on BG levels.
My after breakfast BG was 7,7 and before lunch was 5.9 but was also taken after exercise..
I'm reasonably satisfied that I have BG under some control having lost almost two stones and seen the BG fall from an intial 15 to the present levels. Could have only done it through diet and testing though.
Thanks again for your response.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sounds like your doing really well Franky :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Franky
your test this morning was not a valid "Fasting", because you used some medicine before you took it.
I can sugget that to get your levels down, you control your starchy carbs in some way.This has to suit you, but you can try portion control, GI/GL or reduced carbs. Somewhere in that choice, you should be able to find a solution.
Hana

Franky69uk

Hi Hana thanks for the info. I really have cut back on anything which can raise BG levels and especially on starchy carbs. I tend to use oatcakes instead of bread or limit myself to one slice perday. Do have Dorset Apple and Rasin Porridge and also Dorset Cereal some mornings neither of which raise my after breakfast BGs above 7.7 which is in the prescribed "after meal" range. Occasionally also have weighed out (therefore limited) amounts of pasta and rice. ( probalby no more than once a week).
I do tend to take an over all weekly average of BGs which at the moment is no higher than 6.5 . Thats with testing up to five times daily. I quite often hit the middle 5's after exercise. Have come down form a first test of 15 in January and now having lost two stones I really have to be happy with that though not complacent.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Franky,
You are doing very well and should give yourself a pat on the back. Control does not happen overnight and the steps you are taking are obviously working for you.
Well done.

Catherine.

Franky69uk

thanks Catherine love your very positive comments which are so encouraging.. After brekkie reading this morning was 5.6.. that was after a slice of white bread toast and marmalade and a portion of mixed fruit (unfrozen of course) with some reduced fat creme fraiche.. I'm well happy with that...just need to keep working at it..
I'm going to control diabetes instead of it controlling me.
Frank