Fasting Blood sugar of 104mg/dl

stan_aztig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a single reading of 12 hour fasting blood sugar of 104mg/dl. My fbs is always normal these past years. Also my LDL is also high. im so frustrated and depressed because I'm only 22yrs old and i already have this health problems. I dont know what to do. Dont know where to start. I feel like this is the end for me. Is there anything i could do to make my FBS normal again?is it certain i will develope type 2 DM?this are the question in my mind. I am lost. Please Help me.

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If my conversions are right then this starving value isn't bad! Ur registering in at ~5.8mmol/L. As far as I know the UK tends to measure in the latter (and in Veterinary Medicine)
What is your Wt/BMI?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
104 mg/dl is normal, it's 5.8 mmol/L. See what the average is over a period and stop worrying for the time being. Even if you are mostly over and in the pre diabetic stage, you can almost certainly bring it down again with diet and exercise.

stan_aztig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If my conversions are right then this starving value isn't bad! Ur registering in at ~5.8mmol/L. As far as I know the UK tends to measure in the latter (and in Veterinary Medicine)
What is your Wt/BMI?
Im just a little overweight. but i began to exercise more and lost a pound. Is there anything i could do to lower it?its the first time i got tested for it.

stan_aztig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
104 mg/dl is normal, it's 5.8 mmol/L. See what the average is over a period and stop worrying for the time being. Even if you are mostly over and in the pre diabetic stage, you can almost certainly bring it down again with diet and exercise.
Is it normal?but in my country it is in the prediabetic range. Why did they lower the bar?i so confused. i mean years ago the prediabetic range is at 110-126mg/dl now it is own to 101-126mg/dl. i dont get it.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal?but in my country it is in the prediabetic range. Why did they lower the bar?i so confused. i mean years ago the prediabetic range is at 110-126mg/dl now it is own to 101-126mg/dl. i dont get it.

If lowering the bar as you say means that more people take action to keep themselves from developing full blown diabetes then I am glad they did so.

Depending on how the limits are set on the pre-diabetic range then you are either on the top end of the normal range or the bottom end of the pre-diabetic range.

Either way look at this count, and it is just one count, as a warning sign. You do have the potential/increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

But an increased risk is all it is not a certainty.

And you are not helpless in trying to avoid it. In fact all you are being asked to do is make some slight adjustments to your lifestyle. Adjustments that you would be well advised to do even if in normal range and/or just trying to keep your cholesterol levels under control;
- increase your level of physical activity. Even moderate activity like walking for half an hour daily can greatly reduce your risk of diabetes.
- eat more healthy. The average western diet is usually packed with carbohydrates and it is this carbohydrates that cause blood glucose to rise. I would start by using an app like myfittnesspal to keep a food diary and establish the characteristics of your current diet in terms of total daily calorific intake and in terms of percentage of calories from each of the three macronutrients I.e carbs, fats and proteins. The app is free, very easy to use, has an extensive food database and even includes a bar code scanner for automatic input.
- You can then make adjustments in your diet to achieve healthier results: usually this involves eating less ready made processed foods, eating more fresh and uncooked vegetables and greens, eating less sugar and less carbs, if your total calories from carbs is currently above the the recommended 55%, reduce it to at least this percentage ( actually a lot of us on this forum would say go lower still).
- Choose your carbs from amongs t those with low glycemic index values. The glycemic index provides a measure of how quickly consuming a quantity of a food will cause blood sugars to rise compared to consuming the same quantity of glucose itself. Foods with low glycemic values cause blood sugar to increase more slowly so give pancreas more time to release insulin to keep this levels in check.
- doing the above should lead to you loosing some weight if you are currently have some excess. According to the American Diabetic Association site "Research shows that you can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58% by: losing 7% of your body weight, or 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds" - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diagnosis/#sthash.XEg7SKRx.dpuf

So I am not going to say do not feel bad about your 104mg/dl count. What I will say is imagine how much worse you would feel if that reading was say 127.
Now use these negative feelings as inspiration to help you make the small changes needed to ensure that your blood glucose never reaches that kind of level.

It really is up to you!

Take care of yourself

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people