Fasting blood sugar test at GP?

bethan90

I have been diabetic for 10 years now an mostly I am under the care of the consultant at my hospital. However I have recently switched GPs and they suggested I have a few appointments with them as I never get to see the consultant due to long waiting lists.

I received my appointment the other day and have to go for blood tests a week before. They have requested that these are fasting blood tests. I've never had to hve fastin blood tests before.. Is this normal? Are they going to test all the usuals but want it to be fasting so they can see my morning BS?

Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
No it will be to check everything. liver, kidneys etc.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi bethan90 a fasting blood test is usually associated with a full lipid profile which will show your cholesterol broken down into its component parts of Trigs HDL and LDL.

Most other blood tests that Im aware of do not require fasting.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lipid levels, total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides are always based on fasting I think. They can change very quickly so they need you to fast so they can establish a 'base level'. As soon as you eat, they will change again. It's a very common thing to test for and is often part of a routine test.

bethan90

Thanks for your replies. I've never had fasting bloods before and a few years ago was told my cholesterol was at the higher end of normal! So maybe that wasn't so accurate after all. Thanks guys :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for the info, Sid and Yorksman - I always fast for my blood tests but was unsure why I had to for the cholesterol.

Now I'll know what to say to our new "snipey" receptionist when she tells me I don't need to fast! :evil:

Viv 8)