1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting blood test

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by farmerfudge, Mar 19, 2009.

1. farmerfudge

farmerfudge · Well-Known Member

I'm type 1 and I've got to go for a blood test shortly for my HbA1C. For the 1st time it says on the form that it's a fasting blood test. Is this right? All of my previous ones havn't said this so I havn't fasted. Would this ahve greatly affect my results?

P.S How long are you meant to fast for?

2. acko

acko · Member

Hello

I have never had to fast before.

My GP at one time said to me, obviously this is not a fasting blood test.

Pete

3. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hi farmer,
    Are you having your cholesterol levels done as well? If so, this is why a fasting blood test has been ordered. The cholesterol results, LDL (bad cholesterol), HHL (good cholesterol ) and tryiglycerides (fats) are more accurate if you have been fasting. They can come back higher if you have not been fasting. HBA1c results do not have to follow a fasting test.
    It is usual to fast for 12 hours and only have a few sips of water prior to test.

Hope this helps,
    Catherine.

4. farmerfudge

Thanks for clearing that up, I suspected fasting wasn't in order. No it's not for cholesterol.
    Form reads:
    Tests required -
    U & E
    LFT
    HbA1C

5. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hello farmer,
    U @ E means Urea and Electrolytes. This is a kidney function test.
    L.F.T's means Liver Function Test.

Catherine.

6. farmerfudge

Thanks again for the clarification

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook