fasting level

prwilson

7.1 isn't too bad at all, you might be encouraged to get it a little lower, but I don't think anyone would be too worried at that.

You can go to your doctor's and ask for an HbA1c from the nurse if you haven't been for some time. At mine, once a year, they'll also check other things like liver function and cholesterol.

A low carb diet doesn't mean that you shouldn't be eating other things. If you're letting yourself be hungry then your body will go into survival mode where it will try and store up reserves as fat, so you won't lose weight like you might think. You could try looking for some low GI foods you can eat, lots of fruit, veg and even some complex carbohydrates fall into that category.

You don't mention exercise. A decent amount of regular exercise is good for the blood sugar levels (and general health) and mean you can eat it bit. It's all about finding a good balance.

I'm on metformin, but I haven't noticed any fat gain as a result, perhaps mention it to your diabetic nurse or doctor.

Hope this helps.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
High blood sugar in a morning is known as the Dawn phenomenon and is quite commone.
Also its a myth that low calorie s the way to go. If you remove carbs you have to replace it with fat but good fat like eggs, butter, cream, cheese and avocados. You shouldn't be hungry on a normal diet. We have been fed this low fat myth for too long. Remove carbs and the body burns fat.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think dawnmc makes a good point, I am on a weird diet that works for me however I have been told that different types of diets work well for individual people with diabetes.

Has anyone tried chewing gum to help hunger.

Are you also happy that your meter is accurate, some meters like codefree tend to read a little higher.

Your readings don't seem to be bad, actually your appear to be showing good signs of control.

Roy, :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe chewing gum releases enzymes in the stomach which makes you more hungry.
Our P.E teacher always told the kids that as some would chew in class.
Unless it was a clever ploy:)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
dawnmc said:
High blood sugar in a morning is known as the Dawn phenomenon and is quite commone.
Also its a myth that low calorie s the way to go. If you remove carbs you have to replace it with fat but good fat like eggs, butter, cream, cheese and avocados. You shouldn't be hungry on a normal diet. We have been fed this low fat myth for too long. Remove carbs and the body burns fat.

Again that is your opinion Dawn and one that I totally disagree with, the only myths about carbs and calories are those spread by a small number of very low carbers.

High bg levels in the morning is not known as dawn phenomenon although the dawn phenomenon can cause it but so can many other things too. It could be worth mentioning this to your doctor visitor.

When you low carb you do not have to increase the fat you eat unless you reduce carbs to the absolute minimum and are not overweight or do not want to lose weight.

Weight loss is everything to do with calories it is not a myth and has been proven many many times, for example how many people put on weight whilst in prison camps during the two world wars? The answer is of course non because they were fed the minimum amount of food (calories) to survive, the food they were fed was mainly carbs but they all lost weight. Or am I wrong?

If you remove carbs the body burns fat unless you eat too much fat in which case the body converts fat eaten to body fat - Fact