Fasting morning 5.8, Type 2?

WhimsicalWays

Hi everyone,

My mother recently had a thorough examination and blood test with her new doctor and they realized that her morning fasting blood glucose level was 5.8. The doctor was surprised [we have no type 2 diabetes in our family history, my mother has always eaten very well, and the doctor was very impressed with what great shape she's in - she's probably in better shape than I am!!!]. Anyway, the doctor said it might be a blip, so they are re-testing, but I am just curious if you could let me know what a high fasting # might be attributed to?

Other than Type 2 (which, I know, might be the case), what other disorders/diseases might cause a high fasting blood sugar number? Excuse my ignorance, but do some non-diabetics suffer from hyperglycemia? [as I have heard some non-diabetics can be hypoglycemic, and need to eat regularly etc. kinda like diabetics].

My mother and her doctor are on this, so we are already trying to figure out the peculiar results, but just wondered if anyone had any information/experience with this? Thanks!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi WW.

First of all, I am presuming that your Mother is non Diabetic ? If so these are the levels which one Lab in the UK uses:
From 3.6 to 6.0 mmol/L.......... normal fasting glucose
From 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/L ..........impaired fasting glucose
7.0 mmol/L and above probable diabetes

So it would appear that your Mother's level when tested was not high but is on the higher side of normal, therefore further tests would be asked for. I presume your GP has ordered these.

Anybody can suffer from Hyperglycaemia and also HypoGlycaemia. It is not just confined to Diabetics. Non-Diabetics are able to deal with the problems easily so do not require medications.

I don't want to discuss what may or may not be wrong here. Please wait for any diagnosis and if needed get back to us. I could give you a list of things and just set you worrying. Not a good idea.
IF there is a problem, you will soon know.

Ken.

Cined

By fasting morning do you mean just waking up and testing your glucose level? Because I tested mine this morning as soon as I woke and it was at 6.6.

I haven't had any doctors tests done but I'm concerned I may be diabetic.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Cined.

The answer to your question has been posted in Type 1 Diabetes, "Levels for a NON Diabetic."
Have a read there.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This was posted above,

First of all, I am presuming that your Mother is non Diabetic ? If so these are the levels which one Lab in the UK uses:
From 3.6 to 6.0 mmol/L.......... normal fasting glucose
From 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/L ..........impaired fasting glucose
7.0 mmol/L and above probable diabetes

So ,you may infer that you have impaired fasting glucose but you would need to have this test done by professionals properly before you could say for certain that you are or are not diabetic.A normal blood testing meter is not accurate enough for this test.As previously stated please go to the doctor for proper consultation and testing.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

WhimsicalWays

Thank you for the information. Yes, my mom is non-diabetic and, yes, the GP is doing further testing. I assumed that the list of potential causes was too long (and potentially too worrying), but thank you for your feedback.

Sorry for the confusion re: my use of the term 'fasting' blood glucose level. I used it to refer to the fact that she had fasted since 12am that morning. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

O.K. will wait and see what the second blood test, and her doctor's analysis, reveal. Thanks

Reactions: jjraak

MBN2019

I was diagnosed with hyperglyceamia last December 20th,with HB1C of 11. I was admitted and put on normal saline solution drips, then discharged and put on insulin.I was going into hypos with insulin. I stopped the insulin after two weeks when the sugar levels stabilized and was put on metformin and sitagliptin . I also do a statin to prevent cardiovascular events. I had never had diabetes history in my family. I used to take sugary foods and chocolate and had frequent urge to urinate but due to my ignorance, I didn't think there was anything wrong. It's one month down the line. I joined the gym and have been following a strict diet and medication. Now my fasting sugar levels are always below 6.0mol/l and not more than 7.8after meals. I use my glucometer at home for testing. I visited the endocrinologist clinic and she was surprised how quickly the sugar levels dropped. She reduced the metformin+sitagliptin dose slightly. Now I take metformin only once daily. She said there is a good chance she could wean me off drugs if the sugars stabilized. I am very careful with diet and exercise. I have been exercising very aggressively. I must admit I am very anxious and depressed but I hope to lead a normal fear free life the way I was before. I am 44, male and father of two. My children are young and in school. I need to be strong to take care of them hence my fears and anxiety. I try not to think so hard to avoid other complications that come with depression. My marriage is not stable because my wife doesn't understand what I am going through. Her mother died from diabetes complications last November. She had lived with diabetes for 27years. I thought my wife would be able to understand the situation better having nursed a loved one with diabetes. I have since moved out and live with my relatives. I can do with less stress and unnecessary marital cinflict at this time. Stress raises sugar levels. I was told by my diabetes educator.

Last edited: