fasting question

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could anyone explain fasting as i know lots of folk do it. my fasting blood scores in morning are not great with dawn phenomenon so i cant quite see how fasting would help if it just makes your liver dump more glucose.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does, until your Liver stops storing so much.

I have found that the day after a fast my FBG is still relatively high, but the 2 or 3 days after it is much lower.

No idea why of course, other than the low food intake means less Glucose left to store.

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi you can read about IF in Dietdoctor. .. Dr Jason Fung explains it beautifully. ... or look him up in YouTube. ...

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi you can read about IF in Dietdoctor. .. Dr Jason Fung explains it beautifully. ... or look him up in YouTube. ...
it was watching dr fung on youtube that got me interested in the subject, I suppose i was looking for at least one easy straightforward answer in this conundrum that is diabetes but as britishpub said No idea why of course

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally get a liver dump first thing but currently a week of combined fasting and/or very low carb meals during the day (but normal dinner & supper) have more or less stopped any morning dumps and lowered my overall glucose levels. Have a look at my post here. So not quite what I was expecting, as I thought it would probably take a bit longer to empty my liver larder.

I seem to have had some dumps (pre meal rises) later in the day after activity though... And I don't know yet what next week might bring!

I've seen information on how much glucose the liver can store and it's fairly small amounts, but can't find it just now. But I assume that the sort of fast you do, and how may carbs are eaten and used during a day while fasting would account for any differences people may see?

Robbity.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started fasting and I have found it has been great for my FBG and also my daytime levels. I have a coffee in the morning and at lunchtime and I eat two LC meals at 1 and 7. My only issue so far has been low BS at mid day