1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

fasting question

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by numan43, Jan 17, 2016.

1. numan43

numan43 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

could anyone explain fasting as i know lots of folk do it. my fasting blood scores in morning are not great with dawn phenomenon so i cant quite see how fasting would help if it just makes your liver dump more glucose.

2. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It does, until your Liver stops storing so much.

I have found that the day after a fast my FBG is still relatively high, but the 2 or 3 days after it is much lower.

No idea why of course, other than the low food intake means less Glucose left to store.

3. November1115

November1115 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi you can read about IF in Dietdoctor. .. Dr Jason Fung explains it beautifully. ... or look him up in YouTube. ...

4. numan43

numan43 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

it was watching dr fung on youtube that got me interested in the subject, I suppose i was looking for at least one easy straightforward answer in this conundrum that is diabetes but as britishpub said No idea why of course

5. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I generally get a liver dump first thing but currently a week of combined fasting and/or very low carb meals during the day (but normal dinner & supper) have more or less stopped any morning dumps and lowered my overall glucose levels. Have a look at my post here. So not quite what I was expecting, as I thought it would probably take a bit longer to empty my liver larder.

I seem to have had some dumps (pre meal rises) later in the day after activity though... And I don't know yet what next week might bring!

I've seen information on how much glucose the liver can store and it's fairly small amounts, but can't find it just now. But I assume that the sort of fast you do, and how may carbs are eaten and used during a day while fasting would account for any differences people may see?

Robbity.

6. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have just started fasting and I have found it has been great for my FBG and also my daytime levels. I have a coffee in the morning and at lunchtime and I eat two LC meals at 1 and 7. My only issue so far has been low BS at mid day

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook