Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating - thank you.
Am very interested to see they only mention fasts of 2-4 days, rather than longer.
- a relief for us Thrifty Geners.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think we are still some way away from replacing Beta cells in the pancreas. However maybe it is happening but no one is looking for it. A rest is as good as a holiday.

Not sure I am happy with my white blood cells being killed off by the fast, to be replaced only when I eat again (have I read their mechanism explanation correctly here?) Feel kinda vulnerable while that process is going on

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Missed this when you posted unfortunately. It confirms the papers that I have read that when you are calorie deficient for a period of time the body switches from cell replacement to cell repair. This is why I think the calorie deficient diet for a period of time seems quite successful at restarting the endocrine system. It is all very fascinating and we know so little.

There was a study of a tribe (in the Amazon I think) that regularly fasted for a large portion of their lives and they all (barring injury) lived to an old age and there was no cancers. The speculation was that the cell repair was not causing replacement and gene degradation.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
What were your interpretations of Fasting? No food at all just water?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I fast that is precisely what I do (well black tea and coffee). However I don't tend to do the no food for more than 48 hours whereas I will do a period of low calorie for many days

Reactions: carmenlawrence69

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe that helps explain why something like the Newcastle Diet seems to work well, and why the rapid weight loss diet has beneficial effects.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
When I fast that is precisely what I do (well black tea and coffee). However I don't tend to do the no food for more than 48 hours whereas I will do a period of low calorie for many days
Hi Andrew I can see why you have been interested in this as the implications are potentially life changing. With regard to the actual fasting(48 hours) V low calorie have you chosen to do that on n a regular basis and if so, how often monthly?